Post Likes

Manually add rinse aid to dishwasher?

I have a question about using rinse aid if your dishwasher doesn't have a rinse aid pump.

My Hobart LX30H doesn't have either detergent or rinse aid pumps. I manually squirt in commercial detergent from a squeeze bottle before starting each load, which seems to work fine. My glasses dry spotty, though. So I am wondering if I can manually add rinse aid by opening the door and squirting it into the tank right before the rinse starts. Would that largely replicate what the rinse aid pump does? Or does the rinse aid pump deliver rinse aid directly to the rinse water boiler?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jyl View Post
    I have a question about using rinse aid if your dishwasher doesn't have a rinse aid pump.

My Hobart LX30H doesn't have either detergent or rinse aid pumps. I manually squirt in commercial detergent from a squeeze bottle before starting each load, which seems to work fine. My glasses dry spotty, though. So I am wondering if I can manually add rinse aid by opening the door and squirting it into the tank right before the rinse starts. Would that largely replicate what the rinse aid pump does? Or does the rinse aid pump deliver rinse aid directly to the rinse water boiler?
    That's not going to work.......the rinse aid is pumped into a fitting just after the vacuum breaker hose that leads to the piping for upper/lower wash arms ......it gets mixed there and distributes evenly to upper /lower.....while not ideal for your detergent , you should be ok, depending on what you are using and how much. Some detergents are highly concentrated and to much will leave residue on glasses ......hence the need for pumps so you control amounts

Post Likes
    Ah ha - thank you! Maybe I'm using too much of the detergent. i don't know what dose is normally pumped in, but will try manually adding less.

I will also start looking for the pump components to retrofit.

I can buy the parts from Hobart, but the service documentation for this machine is not available to me (not being a Hobart technician) so it isn't really clear how to install them. In particular, I can't figure out how the pumps are powered, how they are electrically connected to the wiring harness, or how to program doses.

Dear wife is complaining about the spotting, so I need to give this attention. She is also starting to talk about buying a "normal dishwasher", I'm trying to stand firm. I love having such a fast cycle, love that I only paid $250 for the machine, and love not owning a built-to-fail-after-the-warranty-period-ends consumer machine. But I also love my wife so . . .