Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by davidadavis View Post
    That not how it works bro... if they overstay they stay for good 99% of the time. Then they typically save up cash to pay an American for a green card marriage.
    That is the idea of giving them time..so they dont decide to stay for good and go home before the Visa expires

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    I think Trump is going to have a hard time getting the wall built in his first term because in a little over a week the Dems take over. OTOH he could just veto every bill that doesn't have the $5 billion for a wall attached and also make sure that the wall gofundme is allowed by law. Some democrats , enemy of people, are trying to make a law that the government cannot accept donated money for public projects. A bonus is he still has the senate and scotus on his side, especially after RBG retires.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Yes... things are gonna become difficult after the DEMS take over the house in January.
    OTOH... if the DEMS continue with their radical left policies, they are gonna make fools of themselves and all but guarantee the GOP OWNS the entire federal govt in 2021.
    IMO it is quite possible the DEMS are gonna attempt to do a 're-branding'... and paint themselves as moderates, middle of the road, not radical right like Trump and his fringe (50% of the country is not a fringe) supporters.
    Some folks will be fooled by this... those of us who know better... need to keep the heat of accountability ON the left!

There is SCOTUS precedent that will shoot down the idea that public $$$ cannot be used for govt projects.

And yeah... with 53 members of the Senate (is it 54??? I heard Ms McSally, who lost the election in AZ... was appointed to John McCains seat)... it would be easy to totally stall any govt functionality.

Personal comment: I have, as far as I know, NO NEED for any of the services that are currently shut down. IMO leave it shut down as long as he can... show the public they do not need the bloatware from the federal govt.
    If TPTB could keep the Feds shut down for an entire quarter... some economic numbers would show how much $$$ was saved. Would be fun to watch the DEMS squirm around that one.

One more thing: IMO the salaries, benefits, and pensions of Congress (both the house and senate) need to be re-classified as 'non essential'... which means they do not get paid while the govt is shut down.
    Is there anyone here at ARP that would argue that polecats (excuse me, congresscritters) are essential to the function of this country???
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

3. Likes EugeneTheJeep, vin lashon liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    GA,

You have explained pretty well how things will go down and how it will get done. Although, I really want to see the government shutdown because of it not getting thru congress.

I remember when Trump talked about the wall in the primary, he said it would be 10 billion. I am sure that he had his estimators do a survey of what it would take. I also know that Trump Construction can get things built better, faster and cheaper than anyone else. He runs a tight ship. I am sure that the DEA seizes that much cash in a year or two. Problem is DEA is part of the problem.

But I think you are onto something with your post. Sort of like, plug the holes as they appear, one at a time.

I think the best advice on this is to "follow the money". Find out who gains by not building the wall. That is where the stop is on getting this done.

If someone would analyze what it is costing the US to not have a wall, I'll bet that it will be discovered that it is probably cheaper to build the wall than not build the wall. But the wall is not the total solution. There are other measures that have to be taken.

I think this is one of the only topics in ARP that I have ever had interest in.
    Ya know...
    There is an interesting analogy to this, which applies to our chosen trade...
    How many customers do we have... that would replace a big RTU... rather than continue to put bandaids on it???
    And how many of us make a decent living (not get rich, but pay our bills and save a little)... patching up old RTU's??

Keeping the old gal running (RTU) may be all we can get for now... however even 100 miles of new metal fence border wall... is kinda like some new controls in the RTU. Then another 200 miles of wall next year... like replacing the compressor in circuit #1... Then next year some more immigration reform... like getting new condenser fan motors... Then next year... then next year... then next year.
    By 2025 when a moderate takes over (like when Bush Sr took over for Reagan)... we may well have most of the wall built, with some serious immigration reforms.

Another potential way...
    Would be to create some national emergency that took the media's attention away from the border...
    And quietly pull something that was legal... to build the wall.
    Who cares if Trump wins the political fight of the year... Who cares of Trump sticks it to the DEMS and the MSM in public... Who cares if the left has to eat crow (well that last one is fun here at ARP... grin)...
    GA cares that we get the wall and immigration reform!
    Screw politics and media coverage.

Years down the road... when the wall is finished and the results of the wall are non-spin-able (yeah, new word for ARP: 'non-spin-able' grin)... the public will be glad it is done!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

*The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Ya know...
    There is an interesting analogy to this, which applies to our chosen trade...
    How many customers do we have... that would replace a big RTU... rather than continue to put bandaids on it???
    And how many of us make a decent living (not get rich, but pay our bills and save a little)... patching up old RTU's??

Keeping the old gal running (RTU) may be all we can get for now... however even 100 miles of new metal fence border wall... is kinda like some new controls in the RTU. Then another 200 miles of wall next year... like replacing the compressor in circuit #1... Then next year some more immigration reform... like getting new condenser fan motors... Then next year... then next year... then next year.
    By 2025 when a moderate takes over (like when Bush Sr took over for Reagan)... we may well have most of the wall built, with some serious immigration reforms.

Another potential way...
    Would be to create some national emergency that took the media's attention away from the border...
    And quietly pull something that was legal... to build the wall.
    Who cares if Trump wins the political fight of the year... Who cares of Trump sticks it to the DEMS and the MSM in public... Who cares if the left has to eat crow (well that last one is fun here at ARP... grin)...
    GA cares that we get the wall and immigration reform!
    Screw politics and media coverage.

Years down the road... when the wall is finished and the results of the wall are non-spin-able (yeah, new word for ARP: 'non-spin-able' grin)... the public will be glad it is done!
    Good analogy, I agree, let Trump piece meal it together, not quite the style of a perfectionist real estate developer, but he should be able to get through it. Now you reminded me of all the old junk that I have to work on, but it is always the best way to train a rookie.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Guy View Post
    That is the idea of giving them time..so they dont decide to stay for good and go home before the Visa expires

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    Another idea...
    Is to start removing the freebee benefits they get!

GA (me) knows of a couple from Honduras... the wifey is about to give birth. They are here on a vacation visa... they think they are gonna get anchor baby status.
    My Hispanic crew chief told me that law has changed: The father does NOT get anchor status unless he is gainfully employed, which he cannot do on a vacation visa... so he goes home at the end of his visa.
    The mother falls under the same rules... no job, you gotta leave after your visa is up... ONLY the baby gets status.

My guy tells me they plan to 'vanish' into the Hispanic community in Southern Florida when their visa's are up.
    Now here is something curious: Supposedly the father is a relative of a member of one of the board members of the Honduran central bank... and his relative told him to go to the USA... he had a better future there. It is sad when a high govt official tells their relative to leave their country, their future would be brighter somewhere else...
    OTOH: It is getting harder to get a car, an apartment, free healthcare, etc... when you are here on an expired visa.
    The 'noose' is tightening... little by little.
    IMO the problem is: the word is not getting out south of the border that freebees are not as easy to get.
    THAT (the word getting out south of the border) needs to change!

GA (me) mentioned this in another thread: The coyotes (which work for the cartels), that move illegals across the border (do NOT try to cross without a coyote, they will literally KILL you)... are charging 3x as much as they used to. Now if you agree to carry a load of drugs across the border, it is free.
    Couple of thoughts:
    *It is getting harder to run the border already... so a wall would help even more!
    *Running a large backpack of drugs over a 30 ft wall... would not be as easy as sneaking between the bushes in an open desert.
    *The USA fighting the cartels is not an easy war to win... like the war on drugs is probably not winnable. What CAN be done... is make it both expensive and dangerous to run the border! Then less will attempt it...
    *One more point: As it gets more and more difficult to run the border... small children will NOT be able to get across with their parents... While that may seem bad... they did have a home before they tried to break the law and come into the USA... maybe they should have stayed there???

One more thought: WHY is America the absolute #1 destination folks want to go to???
    *The freedom???
    *The potential for a better life???
    *The freebees???
    IMO we need to manage these things...
    *Freebees ONLY for legal citizens...
    *Choose who gets in (like we used to)...
    *If we got rid of some govt management of our basic needs (freebees), and folks learned to take care of themselves (yes, it used to work that way, and CAN work that way again)... the lure of a better life provided free by the govt... would go away.
    Wonder how may folks would want to risk their lives to run a more difficult border, if they knew the freebees were not longer available???

Thoughts???
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    One more thought: WHY is America the absolute #1 destination folks want to go to???
    Why do you think it is? I agree it is a popular destination, but doubt it would be considered an immigrants dream destination. It meets the requirement of a country with a good standard of living, but so do many others. But it is also relatively easy for Hispanics to immigrate to... and more importantly, one of the easiest advanced economies to work illegally in.

For example Scandinavia and Germanic countries attract many immigrants, but it is much much more difficult for immigrants to stay and work/live.

Post Likes
    I fail too see how a wall around your house compares to a wall across the border. Who is going to spend weeks tunneling under the wall to get in your house, Or walk miles to avoid it?LOL

Post Likes
    Obamas wall is to keep his mother in law IN....
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Chewbacca Mom 2016

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    Obamas wall is to keep his mother in law IN....
    I knew if we looked deep enough there is one good reason for a wall.

Post Likes
    Why do you think it is? I agree it is a popular destination, but doubt it would be considered an immigrants dream destination. It meets the requirement of a country with a good standard of living, but so do many others. But it is also relatively easy for Hispanics to immigrate to... and more importantly, one of the easiest advanced economies to work illegally in.

For example Scandinavia and Germanic countries attract many immigrants, but it is much much more difficult for immigrants to stay and work/live.
    Given the huge increase of 'refugees' (really immigrants with an agenda) that have literally ruined the quality of life in those countries... not including a few that have drawn the line in the sand and stopped the destructive force of invasion...

I have a hard time accepting this statement.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolperfect View Post
    I fail too see how a wall around your house compares to a wall across the border. Who is going to spend weeks tunneling under the wall to get in your house, Or walk miles to avoid it?LOL
    Then WHY do rich people live in secure places???
    GA-HVAC-Tech

13. Likes lions_lair, EugeneTheJeep liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Given the huge increase of 'refugees' (really immigrants with an agenda) that have literally ruined the quality of life in those countries... not including a few that have drawn the line in the sand and stopped the destructive force of invasion...

I have a hard time accepting this statement.
    Remember I worked for a Danish company not so long ago, lol...

Post Likes
    Remember I worked for a Danish company not so long ago, lol...
    Are you telling me the refugee violence issue in some EU countries does not affect the quality of life there???

I have Email friends in London, Paris, and Berlin... the 'refugee crime' rate (which is officially illegal to speak about in public)... is serious!
    The REAL reason for the yellow-jacket rebellion all over Europe (which the American
    MSM is ignoring)... is the refugee mess... a mess the govt is promoting, and the citizens are getting the short end of the deal.

While we are at it: Why is it... the UN is pushing a world treaty that says immigration is a 'right'... and if a country ratifies the treaty... they must punish their news agencies if any mention is made of refugee violence and crime against native citizens... sure does not sound like a free, safe, and prosperous society to me...

Sounds more like Chicago or Detroit or LA or Baltimore or DC to me...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

16. Likes lions_lair liked this post.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast