Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smart probes?

Post Likes

Smart probes?

I have been debating on getting a set of smart probes for 1-2 years. Which ones do you all prefer or use? I was never really a testo fan. I almost dropped a lot of money on the imanifold when Jim was there. After I was not sure what direction imanifold was heading. I backed out.
    The field piece probes set jl3kh6 looks nice but everyone has mixed reviews. Not sure if I want them. Looking to hear your opinions and preferences.

Post Likes
    I have the sporlan smart service tool set. They work good for me. They are pretty robust also. You can actually feel the weight of them in your hand. The only thing I don’t like is they take the large style watch batteries. But battery life dose tend to be pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyac1 View Post
    I have been debating on getting a set of smart probes for 1-2 years. Which ones do you all prefer or use? I was never really a testo fan. I almost dropped a lot of money on the imanifold when Jim was there. After I was not sure what direction imanifold was heading. I backed out.
    The field piece probes set jl3kh6 looks nice but everyone has mixed reviews. Not sure if I want them. Looking to hear your opinions and preferences.
    Anthony,

We are now making all of the smart probe sets do what the iManifold did and more in MeasureQuick. It works with both Testo and Fieldpiece. Fieldpiece has the best wireless range by far, Testo has a more attractive price point. They are both really good as far as the quality of the measurements. The cool thing with MQ is you can use the best elements of both at the same time.

Jim
    JLB,

Post Likes
    I have the fieldpiece set and love them. Only issue I had was one of the pressure probes sucked batteries dead in a hurry. Notified fieldpiece and they had a replacement at my door with rma for broken probe Included. No down time which is huge as I use these daily. Range with fieldpiece app can be shotty, and connecting issues, but when used with Measure Quick no issues at all with range or connecting. I highly recommend them.

Post Likes
    Second vote for the MQ app.

I have the Testos which have been ok, except for the app being slow to reconnect to the probes if go out of range (which is limited with the Testos). I went with the Testos due to the variety of probe types available.

Due to issues mates had with their Testo gauges, I was hesitant about the probes. But for the price they have been good to me.

Now that the MQ app connects directly with probes, rather than via Testos app, I expect it to be a much better experience.

Jim, thanks for the app! I envision it being the 'MS Office' of the HVAC trade.

Post Likes
    Well, if you can handle carrying a case of batteries around with you, then the iConnect is a nice kit.

The Testo's are too far behind on the connectivity scale for me. I got rid of them for half the price of what I bought them for. Accuracy was not a problem though.

My choice now is the Fieldpiece probes. The connection is really good for most residential applications, and you can have a thorough report through Measurequick if needed. I like the option of using the quick and easy FP app though.

I would suggest the FP probes. I've had them for a few months now and they're still on the original batteries. I would have gone through a few sets of batteries with the iConnect. Though, the range of the iConnect is unmatched by any other brand. I know some will say it only takes a couple minutes to replace a probe battery, but I found myself messing with the iConnect probes more than I was using them. With the FP's it is plug and play.

I have not tried the new version of the iManifold/iConnect app yet, I just don't have time to learn it at this point.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    I haven't heard anything bad about the Sporlans and I've sold quite a few of them
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    I have the testo probe set, its works great but like has been mentioned the range is pretty limited, I just started playing around with the MQ app. I decided to go with the testo 557 manifold and im sorry but to me its the best, dont bash lol THe MQ app seems to be well integrated with testo products and works great for me.
    Side note, I have 4 testo temp clamps, 2 with the 557 and 2 with the probe set and love the ability to see evap split and condenser split all wirelessly at the same time

Post Likes
    I have a question - can the measure-quick app handle multiple sensors reading the same type of reading?

As in: a probe taking a suction line temp at the Evaporator and also another probe at the compressor?

I could see this being useful setting up Evaporator superheat while making sure compressor superheat doesn't fall out of line.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    I have a question - can the measure-quick app handle multiple sensors reading the same type of reading?

As in: a probe taking a suction line temp at the Evaporator and also another probe at the compressor?

I could see this being useful setting up Evaporator superheat while making sure compressor superheat doesn't fall out of line.

The Sporlan can. You would need to download the Sporlan Pro app as opposed to the regular app and purchase additional transducers
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes

I have not tried that with the MQ app, i'm still getting used to it, I have the two apps from testo and with both open its easy to have both up either on my phone or I split the screen on my Ipad and see 4 temps and if the evap has ports I could see 4 pressures, pretty cool but really only used when diagnosing a problem, not every job needs all that set up.

Post Likes

It does not at this second, but it will soon. We just redesigned the toolbox and the mapping to handle mapping multiple probes and averaging and individual probes to specific functions. My guess would be in the next few months or less. We are wrapping up heat pumps in the heating mode now.
    JLB,

Post Likes
    FP all the way. I've also owned the Testos and used coworkers Sporlan(not bad but no MQ app).

And FP customer service is second to no one. At least in the HVAC world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast