Thread: 6400 Controller CCN Bus Communication

Post Likes

6400 Controller CCN Bus Communication

Hi! I'm a new member and this is my first post.

I'm trying to reinstall ComfortVIEW (ver 3.0) on a new PC and reestablish comms with the elements on our CCN. The old ComfortVIEW PC HDD crashed taking all the system/building configuration data with it. Prior to the PC crash, I was told the system (ComfortVIEW and all the elements on the CCN) were working fine. The PC connects to the CCN using the serial I/O port with B&B rs422-RS485 converter attached to it.

I've run the ComfortVIEW bus scan tool, and it sees the Carrier Data Collection Module on the network at address 0,100. I've even upload the Data Collection Module configuration to the ComfortVIEW database.

My problem is the bus scan does not see any of the Comfort Controller 6400 (p/n CEPL130201) modules that are on the CCN. The diagnostic Red LED on the 6400 is blinking at the .5Hz (all is normal) rate.

My questions are:
    1) Does anybody know how to interpret the Yellow LED on the 6400? The yellow LED is listed as the "CCN BUS" status, but I can't find any data on how to interpret it.
    2) Assuming the yellow LED indicates no CCN comms, is there a way to reset the 6400 to reestablish comms WITHOUT loosing all the configuration data in the 6400?

Thanks,
    Wade

Post Likes
    Post CORRECTION: In my original post I stated that the 6400s' red LEDs were blinking normal. This is not the case. The Data Collection Module (p/n CEPL 130000-01) that the bus does see is blinking normal. The two 6400s' red LEDs are blinking slower (.25Hz). The 6400 manual does not say what this rate means. Only that a "steady-on or erratic blinking is an error. Also, the yellow LED on the 6400s don't blink at all.

I'm looking for advice on how to get these two 6400s back online and talking over the CCN without loosing all the configuration data in them. Thanks again.

Post Likes
    What operating system are you using on your new PC? It’s my understanding that comfort view only works on XP and maybe 7. Might be time to upgrade to i-Vu and bring everything in that way.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The "new" PC I installed is running Windows XP. And the ComfortView program loaded fine and seems to work as described in the manual.

As stated earlier, I am able to see/talk to the Data Collection Module (p/n CEPL 130000-01). I am also able to see/talk to the seven Carrier RTUs (48TMs and 48HJs) and a Carrier thermostat that are all on the CCN network. However, for some reason the two Comfort Controller 6400s don't show up on the network. I'm thinking the slower blink rate of the red LED on the 6400s might provide a clue as to what the problem might be.

They were both working before the ComfortView PC crashed, and now they have the same diagnostic LED blink rate. It doesn't seem like they would both break at the same time in the same way. Any thoughts on how to get these 6400s back online?

Thanks,
    Wade

Post Likes
    .5 red = normal, yellow is inactive on 6400. If you're seeing .25 red, I would confirm your power to the controllers is acceptable and verify the baud rate matches everything on the bus. You mentioned seeing 0,100...have you tried scanning the lone controller addresses and not the full range?
    HVAC PRO IN THE MAKING
    i-Vu, CCN
    NATE's:
    Gas Heat Service/ Installation
    Air-to-Air Heat Pump Service/ Installation
    Air Conditioning Service/ Installation

Post Likes
    I'll check the baud rate.

I think the power is ok (but will check), and here's why. The two 6400s are in two different sub-panels each with there own power supplies. One shares a sub-panel with the Data Collection module that is working and communicating normally. The other shares a sub-panel with two 6400-I/O modules. The red LEDs on these are blinking normally. Of course I can't communicate directly with these as they connect only to the 6400 that I can't talk with.

I have tried to run bus scans on just the two 6400s in question. The scan does not see them. Also, if I try to perform an Upload of their configurations by addressing them directly, ComfortView gives me the following error message: "Error 17318, DRV: CCN communication failure."

Post Likes
    I believe I have found the problem. After searching this site, I found out that losing power will make the 6400 revert back to the default address of 0,1. With two 6400s on the network, they had both reverted back to 0,1, and were creating a bus collision at that address. I disconnected one of the 6400, and sure enough I can now see the other one at address 0,1. Now I just have to figure out how to change the addresses back to what they were before they lost power (0,10 and 0,11). I can't figure out how to do this via the ComfortView s/w, so I'm still looking. I'll search through this site, and if I can't find and answer, I'll start a new thread.

Thanks,
    Wade

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in