Post Likes

Carrier thermostat

Hi, I'm new here so don't know if this is ok to ask. I have a Carrier unit and would like to replace the Carrier thermostat with the Nest but it is wired only with 2 wires. Can it be replaced with Nest?

Post Likes
    Yes it can but not easily.

Nest is made by a great information technology company but is not a great thermostat, mainly it is poo, stick with Honeywell or a hearing/cooling manufacturer thermostat. Or Ecobee is decent.

Your current carrier thermostat is a 2wire communication thermostat to a remote located subbase module, most likely hooked up this way because you have limited wires in your wall for required functions for your system.

J

Post Likes
    Thanks. I actually have 5 wires in the wall but it uses only 2. I plan to either use Nest or Ecobee but since I see only 2 wires connected in the attic to the small board, I need some help either here or direct me where to obtain the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advanced Response View Post
    Yes it can but not easily.

Nest is made by a great information technology company but is not a great thermostat, mainly it is poo, stick with Honeywell or a hearing/cooling manufacturer thermostat. Or Ecobee is decent.

Your current carrier thermostat is a 2wire communication thermostat to a remote located subbase module, most likely hooked up this way because you have limited wires in your wall for required functions for your system.

J
    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    This is not a DIY forum. To perform the task you are wanting the entire low voltage wiring will need to reworked. Only a trained technician on sight will be able to see what type of system you have and what all your current thermostat controls to be able to offer solutions to your issue of wanting a replacement WiFi thermostat.

I have even seen many of Diyers that caused lots of high dollar repairs needed after trying to replace a simple thermostat let alone rewire the whole circuit. I.e blown transformers, circuit boards.

Good luck but this is not a diy forum.

J

Post Likes
    We can’t tell you how to wire it.
    But I’d highly suggest steering clear of the Nest thermostat. It’s junk.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    I just checked your profile.

You list yourself as a hvac contractor, if that is so then you should apply for pro status and we can help behind the closed doors of the pro forum.

Until then, talk to one of your bosses or head technician to help you with your thermostat issue.

J