Post Likes

ABB ACH 500 Issue

Hello everyone,

I am having an issue with an ABB drive of mine. The drive Cat number is ACH501-050-4-00P. It is a 480 volt 50 HP VFD. We are using it to power a fan in a drying system.

When we installed the drive, it powered up fine. It was in perfect shape and everything worked well. However, one day, after being turned off for the night, the drive's display would no longer turn on. Not only this, but the drive itself would not function. The drive still had power, and the fan would still run. I do not believe it is just the display, as the drive itself was no longer running the fan.

I have read through as many threads with similar issues as I could find, but not any with this exact problem. If anyone has any suggestions or tips, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Tom

Post Likes
    Is that your only drive of such?
    If you have another swap the displays.

Is there an interlock to keep the drive off?

When you last powered down the drive how long was it powered down?

ABB does have a tech support line. I see you're new here, so there are rules on DIY. Sounds like you should call in a pro. I've had very good luck overall with ABB drives. We've had a few displays go bad and I believe on one the board that feeds the display went out. I can't recall all the details, the guys replaced the drive and then we tested it again later and found the issue.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    My 5 yr old son "Dad, Siri is not very smart when there's no internet."

Post Likes
    Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I have answered all of your questions below, and have asked my own at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by crab master View Post
    Is that your only drive of such?
    This is indeed my only ABB. We pretty much run exclusively Eaton products, so all of our other drives are Eatons.

If you have another swap the displays.
    I may be able to find another display for testing purposes.

Is there an interlock to keep the drive off?
    The VFD is powering a fan with a disconnect between the drive and motor. The fan is interlocked with two other motors. Once these two motors have been started, the fan is then able to be powered on.

When you last powered down the drive how long was it powered down?
    The drive was powered down overnight. We have since tried powering the drive on multiple occasions without any luck. When we do power the drive on, the display is blank with no backlight, but the cooling fan runs as normal.

ABB does have a tech support line. I see you're new here, so there are rules on DIY. Sounds like you should call in a pro. I've had very good luck overall with ABB drives. We've had a few displays go bad and I believe on one the board that feeds the display went out. I can't recall all the details, the guys replaced the drive and then we tested it again later and found the issue.
    I was able to talk with their support line. However, after giving them the model of my drive, they were unable to help because it was discontinued. I was told this was a new company policy as of week ago, and they would only be willing to sell me a new drive.
    I am only the plant manager, so I do not do any of the electrical work myself. I have an excellent certified electrician that handles all of our needs, thankfully. My hopes were to get an idea of what to expect, and maybe be able to point my electrician in the right direction when he arrives this week.
    When you had a display go out, was your cooling fan still running, or did the drive appear completely dead?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I greatly appreciate it.

Tom

Post Likes
    "I was able to talk with their support line. However, after giving them the model of my drive, they were unable to help because it was discontinued. I was told this was a new company policy as of week ago, and they would only be willing to sell me a new drive."

Jeez, sort of makes you want to NEVER by an ABB product again.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    As to the cooling fan, I don't recall. Last one I directly worked with was a Danfoss drive and when its display was faulty the cooling fan was yet running. Hopefully your electrician can figure it out. Don't know your system but sounds like process...sometimes that's when bypass comes in handy, but depends on situation and setup.

Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post

No doubt - dang your signature line fits....guess I am not a 'real' tech either!
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    "I was able to talk with their support line. However, after giving them the model of my drive, they were unable to help because it was discontinued. I was told this was a new company policy as of week ago, and they would only be willing to sell me a new drive."

To the OP: I would call them again on Monday. You will likely get a different tech support person on the phone that might actually try and help you. If not I would raise a stink. Just because the drive is discontinued is not a good reason to help you out. Maybe mention if the drive is faulty and they help you that you would try another ABB drive. If they are not willing that you will buy a different brand.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Now that there is some good advice!

Probably not much can be done without a working display. And if you were able to just buy the display and plug it in, likely it wouldn't work either. Depending on what the down time cost you, might want to just plan on installing a new VFD.

For example, used to have this account that brought in $4,000 per hour. When that line went down, especially if it was refrigeration related, you had approval to do whatever it would take to get things back on line before you even arrived on site or knew what the problem actually was.

Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    To the OP: I would call them again on Monday. You will likely get a different tech support person on the phone that might actually try and help you. If not I would raise a stink. Just because the drive is discontinued is not a good reason to help you out. Maybe mention if the drive is faulty and they help you that you would try another ABB drive. If they are not willing that you will buy a different brand.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    The Model number from the Drive you're talking about is older than 25 years.
    The integrate Circuit (IC Chips) most likely aren't even made any more.
    Can you say Obsolete?
    considering the Drives age and the fact it was running until recently you should check for leaking capacitors as they only have about at 10-15 year life span. You may get lucky a still be able to find suitable replacements.
    Still a new ACH-550 would probably cost way less then what that drive originally cost.
    In case of malfunction-Reconnect brain BEFORE starting mouth.

Post Likes
    Or even another Eaton and be about 1/3 the size...