Post Likes

Update/General job information.

So it's been about a month since I started the job. I read a lot of posts on my previous thread. Some positive, some "nagative". My first day I did all of the computer safety training things, did tons of paperwork, got trained for the use of our company phone Ipad and computer systems. To my surprise I was issued a late model service van day one. The first two weeks I followed guys to PMs, service calls, and jumped right in there asking many questions and doing the work. PMs are very interesting so far, due to the diverse equipment our customers own. I can see how they will get boring later on. The service was never dull to me at least.
    After two weeks they sent me my own calls for service. First one was at a resteraunt for a no cooling call. Package unit on roof needed a new board. Swapped boards and was rockin and rolling.
    I still do scheduled PMs early in the morning and by 10AM I run service until 5-6PM. I've been running 12-14 hour days since my third day on the job. I love it. I have learned a ton about ice machines. I have impressed some of my co-workers, and further grown my network of trade professionals. I have seen some poor service practices, but I keep my mouth shut. We all do it differently, and it aint my place to tell someone what's best. Not a conversation I want to have. I have called for help a couple times, when it came to a Honeywell DIN rail not doing it's programmed occupied heat setting

Post Likes
    Snide remark: had an older tech laugh when I told him I came out of trade school. He's a great, and VERY smart guy. He did say, "Trade school huh? Books never teach ya bout this trade haha." He said this exaxt phrase while thumbing through a Manitowoc troubleshooting guide cigarette in mouth. This guy is great Don't get me wrong, he'll run circles around me with ice machines, but I thought the irony was almost material in nature, he wasn't joking by the way he was deas serious.

Post Likes
    Do as much refrigeration as you can while starting out. The idea is that you can build up your savings account faster, then as you get older, you can transition into more A/C work.

It's easy to go from Refer work to A/C work, but A/C techs have a difficult time transitioning to refer work.

If you could do 2/3's refer work and 1/3 A/C work, that would be even better.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    LOL

Yeah, us senior techs love watching the rookies run around in circles; it's one of the ways we get amusement when there is none. You know what they say, I love work, I can watch it all day . . .
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Wouldn't say I'm putting a hammer down. Just thought it was ironic. As well as seeing some poor service practices. Some people swear by substandard practices and procedures. I know what I'm doing so I sleep easy at night, especially after the 14 hour days I've been running

Post Likes
    Glad to hear it’s working out!