Post Likes

Carrier Defrost Fast Cycling Weirdness - Any Ideas ?

Hi Guys,

I've got a basic Carrier split heat pump system, single scroll compressor that ever since installation back 5+ years go has begun venturing into defrost mode when the temps start getting below 50 degrees. I'm in Florida and when the system was installed I complained right away about this and was told it's normal for our climate. Ok, fine...but years later though I am now hearing in the early morning the unit has been going into defrost and then immediately right back out again....literally stopping only seconds in between. Is this possibly normal or might this be a sensor issue? I doubt it's a board problem, from past experience board failures exhibit more deviant behavior. Everything works fine otherwise. And it doesn't do this "fast defrost cycling" much, only in the early morning a few times.

Thanks for any insight....

Sonic

Post Likes
    Call to have them check the defrost sensor/thermostat to make sure it's working within manufacturer spec. Worst case if it's bad or another part it should be covered under warranty if your system got registered initially.

If you do not have confidence in them call another Carrier Contractor firmilar with Heat Pumps and your brand model defrost specifications/parameters . Possible asking them if they have a technical manual on how to check the defrost parameters along with a experienced Heat Pump Technican.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 12-07-2018 at 10:37 PM.

Post Likes
    Thanks, yeah I atually already have the manuals. I assumed the unit was out of Warranty by now (been over 5 years) but I'll look into that....

The tech I sometimes interact with said the particular type of defrost sensor on my unit is known to often have problems.

Sonic

Post Likes
    If your the original owner and someone registered it for you, you should have 10/10 warranty, compressor and parts. If your the original owner and the Installing Contractor never registered it for you or told you to register it shame on them. Myself I probably would have 2nd thoughts about using them just for that reason alone ( failed to register or told you ) but hey that's me.

If you bought this residence from the owner who had this system installed, you probably at best have a 5/5 warranty from the date of manufacturer? Unless they had a 10 year transferable labor warranty.

If your Tech. that you use wants to be a parts changer to find out he may get lucky or he can keep changing parts at your cost until the problem is corrected or they can have it checked with a Carrier technical manual or have them call Technicall Service and a experienced Heat Pump Tech.

Maybe a contributing factor is/was your field refrigerant charge was not set to manufacturer spec. initally also? ( split system unit )
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 12-07-2018 at 11:33 PM.

Post Likes
    I actually am the original owner and the system was registered. So hopefully that will get me parts at least, the service isn't covered though IIRC. I think the tech I interact with is an authorized Carrier service person, but will have to double check that.

The one thing I should mention that is screwy with my install is the lines run under the house and the suction line (the larger of the two) does NOT have any insulation on much of it any longer. It rotted off in the underground chase under the house (because lineset was re-used). Anyway, I'm not sure if that might be playing a factor somehow in how the temps and/or pressures may be slightly out whack at the condenser coil under certain conditions and could tripping up the defrost sensor?

Sonic

Post Likes
    https://productregistration.carrier.com/

You can check yourself needing the serial number(s) instead of saying hopefully that will get my parts covered.

I would have the vapor line of your lineset insulated instead of dissipating the heat/cool into the surroundings.