Thread: Ecobee stats

Post Likes

Ecobee stats

So I see a lot of people on here like/use the ecobee stats. Personally I have never used one so I dont have any history with them. Been a Honeywell guy my whole life and really have liked the results.

But eventually, I will be putting in a duel fuel system in my house (its going to be a mismatched system of used equipment I have laying around) that will be 3 heat one cool. My plan was to put in a Honeywell IAQ with the EIM. But after reading on here, sounds like it may be worth looking into a Ecobee.

The guys that have used both, if you were to put a duel fuel in your own house, which do you use and why?

Post Likes
    Being Rheem dealers we use their econet stats on the 17 and 20 SEER communicating systems. We have been only using Honeywell stats for all other dual fuel apps. Working out well as long as you make sure you set them up in their entire functions properly.
    We have used Ecobee on some applications that have worked well. We have a mfg facility with about 15 systems monitored in the owners office computer. Tells him, and us when he has problems and sends a text message to us. Has graphs of run time.Charts with circles and arrows, ETC. Been in about 8 years now and no issues with the Ecobee systems. I feel these types of systems could be used on places to monitor the refrigeration also. Owners get a text when a freezer starts to get too warm.
    Simple is still good though.

Post Likes
    Honeywells are good for multi-function systems... we generally have had good luck with them.

The weak spot of the Honeywell... we have had a few of them get 'zapped' by a power surge.
    If I were installing a fancy system (for me or for a customer)... I would mount a surge suppressor to the furnace. Supco makes one for not much $$$... easy to install.
    Cheap insurance IMO.

The only thing about Honeywell IAQ systems I do not like... one has to buy an additional module to get WiFi stat operation (cell phone monitoring).
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

4. Likes Mr Bill liked this post
    Post Likes
    Ecobee or HW with EIM will do 2 stage gas back up. Not sure how they would do 3 stage.

I have a Prestige IAQ on my single stage HP with 2 stage gas backup at home. Works fine. Price was right, free!

In my office I have a bee on my zone. Neat the amount of data it gives you on the web. Most of our guys were given them, our salesman has his on 1 stage pump 2 stage gas just fine. It uses the local temp via the web as opposed to an outdoor sensor.

Buy either from Jackson Systems and get imprinted with logo and company info for free.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Honeywells are good for multi-function systems... we generally have had good luck with them.

The weak spot of the Honeywell... we have had a few of them get 'zapped' by a power surge.
    If I were installing a fancy system (for me or for a customer)... I would mount a surge suppressor to the furnace. Supco makes one for not much $$$... easy to install.
    Cheap insurance IMO.

The only thing about Honeywell IAQ systems I do not like... one has to buy an additional module to get WiFi stat operation (cell phone monitoring).
    Honestly I don’t even care about WiFi access to my stat. Even being a millennial I don’t get caught up in much of the tech stuff.

Does anyone know where ecobee keeps the manuals. There website from what I could find is purely sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    Honestly I don’t even care about WiFi access to my stat. Even being a millennial I don’t get caught up in much of the tech stuff.

Does anyone know where ecobee keeps the manuals. There website from what I could find is purely sales.
    It's all under their support section here.

The manuals aren't very detailed though the ones that come in the box are strictly focused on consumers with lots of pictures and reminders to label the wires. If you have any questions their tech support is supposed to be excellent but I've never personally had to use it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooty View Post
    It's all under their support section here.

The manuals aren't very detailed though the ones that come in the box are strictly focused on consumers with lots of pictures and reminders to label the wires. If you have any questions their tech support is supposed to be excellent but I've never personally had to use it.
    Agreed. The manual is an 80 page cartoon with one sentence per page. I found it to be mostly useless.

Post Likes
    Tech support is very responsive but not necessarily super knowledgeable. I have had good experiences with their support though