Post Likes

Opinion on replacement

Thanks in advance for any information you are willing to share. We currently have a Trane XL90 that is the original unit installed in 1990. It doesn't owe us anything but has, and continues to perform really well. It has only required minimal service for minor issues over the years, maybe because we are sticklers for proper maintenance. Our neighborhoods homes were all built the same year and lately I see quite a few furnaces being replaced for failure. That is generally a sign that we are next. Tranes were originally installed in all the homes, so ours is the same. We live in the Northeast and it's cold here. A few of our neighbors have had difficulty scheduling new furnace installation for weeks despite having no heat. It's a busy time for these guys. My husband was promoted suddenly and transferred for work hours away from our home and I plan to go with him, leaving our 20 something kids living in the house. I could schedule an appointment to replace the furnace but would prefer to be here when it is installed. Right now there is no issue with the furnace. Although I think it's inevitable in the near future. I guess my question is are parts still available for a model this old? The neighbor next door was told they were not and in her situation it didn't make sense to repair a unit this old even if they were. I wouldn't. In our situation I am wondering if it failed while we were away are the parts even available for a company to repair it so it can limp along for the kids until we get back in a few months?

Post Likes
    When you say '20 something kids living in the house' do you mean '20 something' years old, or you have at least 20 kids and lost count?

There are still parts available, the 'no parts available' thing, when not true is just to get people to buy a new unit. Don't use that company.
    It's possible your unit is lasting longer because of your adherence to preventive maintenance. If it ain't broke you can't fix it, but you can make it worse.

Yes it is a PIA, and puts someone at a disadvantage to have to buy a new heater in the dead of winter. And you definitely want to be there when they do the install.

If you definitely want to replace it, I would get a few bids, which should include inspection of your existing duct work and proper sizing of your equipment based on your heat loss, cooling load and duct work. Don't just do a size for size replacement unless the calculations confirm.
    Select the company, set it up for spring when they slow down, before AC season.
    If for some reason you have a catastrophic failure and it can't be fixed (highly unlikely) the company you chose should be able to roll pretty quickly on it. As a matter of fact tell them that and make them agree to it.
    Uh...Google it yourself!

Post Likes
    Bless your heart Steve! Thanks. Good God no, there are only two boys 23 and 26. Excellent advice all the way around. I did think it was odd when the neighbor told me that parts weren't available but it is a reputable company in town so I accepted it at face value. And realistically at this age if the furnace was doing the death march I probably wouldn't repair it for anything over a hundred bucks, unless we were in our current situation. My husband suggested setting the installation up for the spring as well, which is the way to go. I can leave now without stressing because if the absolute worst happened we wouldn't be over a barrel replacing it without being present. Thanks again, I really appreciate the reply!

Post Likes
    If it’s the original xl90 that is taller than 40” there are parts that are no longer available. The inducer assembly is the biggest one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    It is taller than 40" and based on the age of production, I'd say it's the original xl90.
    Thanks