Thread: Does my new coil match my condenser?

Post Likes

Does my new coil match my condenser?

I have a home warranty and apparently they don't like paying for an OEM coil, so my question is this:

Does my new coil match my condenser??

New Coil:
    Rheem RCF4821STQMCA / W201807721

Existing Condenser:
    Carrier 24ANB148A0030030 / 2711E09998

Thanks!

Post Likes
    Size - yes.

AHRI match - no.

We have low opinions of HW.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    So there's no AHRI Certification for this combination of coils.

Does that mean that Carrier will void the warranty on the compressor?

What about SEER? Do these 2 coils match so far as SEER is concerned?

Post Likes
    Manufacturers do not test their product when used with product from another manufacturer. There are far too many combinations to do so. Hence no AHRI certification.

Carrier won't know anything about the coil so their warranty should not be affected.

SEER rating for unmatched components is anybody's guess. If the equipment is close to the same age the efficiency might be close. However, if there is a difference of 5 or more years the SEER may be considerably lower.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    If you haven't done so register your coil, you probably will get at least 5 years?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    SEER rating for unmatched components is anybody's guess. If the equipment is close to the same age the efficiency might be close. However, if there is a difference of 5 or more years the SEER may be considerably lower.
    So are you saying that my new evaporator coil doesn't have it's own seer rating?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kgriggs99 View Post
    So are you saying that my new evaporator coil doesn't have it's own seer rating?
    N O

Post Likes
    SEER rating is the combination of:
    The furnace, coil, and outdoor unit...

While coils are designed to be in a range... they do not have specific universal (with any outdoor unit) SEER ratings...

This is not meant to be mean... just stating the facts:

You got what you paid for...
    HW companies are known for BAD quality work.

Next time, if you want a good job, hire a REAL HVAC person, and pay for their work.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    SEER rating is the combination of:
    The furnace, coil, and outdoor unit...

While coils are designed to be in a range... they do not have specific universal (with any outdoor unit) SEER ratings...

This is not meant to be mean... just stating the facts:

You got what you paid for...
    HW companies are known for BAD quality work.

Next time, if you want a good job, hire a REAL HVAC person, and pay for their work.
    Thank you ga-hvac-tech for your helpful response. It makes sense that the condenser and evaporator are part of a system to which the seer rating applies. Thanks to others, also, for helping me understand that my new evaporator coil is at least the same tonnage as my compressor.

Regarding hiring a REAL HVAC tech, please understand that the person hired (by the HW company) is indeed a real HVAC tech, and for all I know he is a respected professional member of this online community. Under the restrictions imposed by his customer (in this case a real HW company), I believe he performed the work in a courteous and professional manner.

The financial realities of home ownership sometimes require that warranties be obtained, because many if not most home owners cannot afford to 'self-insure' their AC system any more than they can self-insure their home against other casualties.

Respectfully,

The Homeowner

Post Likes
    Thank you ga-hvac-tech for your helpful response. It makes sense that the condenser and evaporator are part of a system to which the seer rating applies. Thanks to others, also, for helping me understand that my new evaporator coil is at least the same tonnage as my compressor.

Regarding hiring a REAL HVAC tech, please understand that the person hired (by the HW company) is indeed a real HVAC tech, and for all I know he is a respected professional member of this online community. Under the restrictions imposed by his customer (in this case a real HW company), I believe he performed the work in a courteous and professional manner.

The financial realities of home ownership sometimes require that warranties be obtained, because many if not most home owners cannot afford to 'self-insure' their AC system any more than they can self-insure their home against other casualties.

Respectfully,

The Homeowner
    Sorry I don’t buy that BS

The H W companies shorten the life of the equipment costing you more money.

Post Likes

Respectfully,

The Homeowner
    Home warranty companies are most certainly NOT insurance companies. The whole idea of getting something for nothing (or less than market price) is a fallacy. If HW companies paid to replace anything that breaks, as duped customers expect, they would quickly go bankrupt. The policy of the HWC is to pay very low rates for repairs, use numerous exemptions to deny repairs or replacements, and withhold payment as long as possible.

Our first contact with an HWC was this: the customer called us to repair their furnace. We had to call for approval of the repair, which was given by the HWC. We replaced the furnace control board which restored furnace operation. We sent the request for payment. Then the HWC wanted to see proof of past routine service on the furnace. Two things were wrong with their response - they'd already approve the repair, and a printed circuit board does not need routine service. The HWC kept putting us off. We would call and get an answering service that would take a message, and of course our calls were not returned. After a couple of months of getting the runaround, I demanded that the answering service connect me to the HWC. They connected me and I demanded payment over their excuses. They finally paid us after around 3 months.
    I've seen work done locally by an HVAC company that had to drive 45 minutes to get to our locale. Their work was ugly, amateurish, and potentially dangerous. But they were willing to work for the pitance the HWC offered. We were called by the homeowner to remedy the work done by the other company.
    Our policy is that the customer pays us on completion of the work and the customer can then submit the invoice to the HWC to be reimbursed. I don't need the aggravation.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in