Post Likes

Trane XE80 Gas Valve Replacement

Hello Everyone,

I have a Trane XE80 forced air furnace (Model: TUD060C936B0) and I believe, after doing some research online, that my gas valve is going bad. I have called Trane and a few local HVAC dealers here in Tucson and gotten different answers on what needs to be done. I think the last dealer (recommended by Trane) just wanted me to buy a new system. Seems like getting a replacement part number from Trane or one of their dealers is slightly harder than getting the nuclear codes out of the White House.

The problem I am having is that, the thermostat calls for heat, the blower comes on, the igniter starts to glow, I can hear the gas valve click but nothing happens. There was a person on YouTube that has the identical system and the identical problem. He started out with the age old remedy of tapping on the valve and starting the whole sequence again. Surprisingly that works, at least in the short term. In the video he purchases a new gas valve (non-OEM because apparently Trane no longer has the OEM part available) and highers an HVAC person to install it. He states that the part was only $ or $ dollars but does not identify what replacement he is using.

Does anyone have experience with this issue. If so, any help/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-06-2018 at 06:37 AM.

Post Likes
    Your service technician should be able to look up the correct part.
    I’d do a lot more diagnosing before ordering parts, beyond looking at YouTube videos.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    What's the question? There are non-OEM gas valves available and you have to make sure the one you buy works. Are they $- $? In my experience they are more than that but that all depends on where you buy it. Can you hire someone to install it? Maybe. Some guys will do that and others won't it all depends on who you ask. Personally I don't.

The big question is are you sure it's your gas valve? I can think of half dozen other possibilities just off the top of my head which is why I don't bother installing customer supplied parts.
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-06-2018 at 06:38 AM.

Post Likes
    Moved to AOP.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooty View Post
    What's the question?
    I also don’t see a question in the original post.

To the OP, site rules do not permit us to give technical advice or part numbers.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."