Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    I did an electric service change in front of a duke service center last month, I always do service changes hot without involving duke. Before I started I'm like you think anyone will come running when we cut the tag and yank the smart meter. My helpers goes I bet they do are we going to get in trouble? Messing with him I told him no you just have to act like you belong and no one with bother us. I had a permit but no one bothered us.

A crane just makes it all look official, no one will think twice about it.
    I had an electrician tell me OSHA fined someone tens of thousands of dollars working in OTR for reconnecting the overhead during a service changeout a few months ago. There are always missing details; I wonder what really happened.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ckelley3 View Post
    I had an electrician tell me OSHA fined someone tens of thousands of dollars working in OTR for reconnecting the overhead during a service changeout a few months ago. There are always missing details; I wonder what really happened.
    I always wondered how big companies do it when employees can't because of OSHA, its definitely against OSHA regulations. At the same time its all but required at least without making a fairly easy job a PITA. Scheduling with ibi for the release and duke for disconnect/reconnect I'm sure would be a lot easier with a secretary though. Still has to be a PITA do coordinate everything and make sure homeowners have power back on that night. I'm OSHA exempt as a sole proprietor so I could at least have some fun with an OSHA inspector if they tried to fine me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ckelley3 View Post
    In Clermont & Brown Counties, ... I've done many a Residential Service Upgrade, all from a ladder, & made the connection "Temporary" via Split Bolt Connections. Of course, I had a permit filed, & called in the Meter # to Cinti. Gas & Elect./ Cinergy, & now, Duke, & never had any problem.

For OHSHA to be involved, .... I'm thinking that some kind of Safety Issue came up.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    I would imagine unions in cabinet are definitely a No No in places that get earthquakes , but personally I don't see the benefit of them being in there anyhow ...

Post Likes
    After all of the Calls that I made to the various Departments, .... The "Duke Supervisor" of the Subcontractor, & the Field Supervisor of the Subcontractor called me, & we had a 3 way conversation.

It now appears, that after my referencing the various Codes, as well as my having spoken to the Clermont County Building Department, & advising Duke (Dec. 13-2018), that I was going to contact the Division of Building Standards if this "Union" & "Furnace" matter wasn't clearly resolved within 48 hours, ..... These Supervisors contacted me & told me, ....We've looked at the Code & We have re-interpreted it, so this Union is no longer an Issue. And, that furnace having to be replaced, based upon the Tech's opinion, is no longer valid, & should not have been an addendum to the Red Tag.

But, ... I have that "Gut Feeling", that my Installing a new gas line had better have All of the "T" s crossed & the "I"s properly dotted, for Duke's Inspection.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    I would imagine unions in cabinet are definitely a No No in places that get earthquakes , but personally I don't see the benefit of them being in there anyhow ...
    Like I said before Snapper, ... It gives me quick access to the Valve & Burner Assembly, & there are less joints to have to reconnect, & Leak Test.

As far as Earthquakes?

I'm thinking that depending upon the magnitude of the Quake, that many fittings & components, could leak, ... even be tore apart.

In My Belief, .... If that Union is properly put together, & prior to that as BBeerme stated, Examined for Defects & if found then rejected, ... then there should be no leaks.

Post Likes
    The union right outside the cabinet isn't going to slow you down

I think you just don't like people telling you what to do … like the other 20 guys in your thread telling you don't put the dam union in the cabinet .. LOL

Post Likes
    I think you just don't like people telling you what to do … like the other 20 guys in your thread telling you don't put the dam union in the cabinet .. LOL
    Isn't that human nature ?
    I never figured Snapperhead to be one to follow people off the dam.

Post Likes

Thank you!! 😁

Post Likes
    Do we live and work in a world where everyone working on these units are Journeymen Pipefitters? Or where unions are manufactured to the highest specs with the best materials? Would I feel comfortable as an inspector, manufacturer, homeowner or business owner if the above was true? Probably to the last question. Given the realities of the world we live in I think it is good practice to place unions outside the cabinet regardless of the local code.
    If quick access to the gas valve was really the issue how many times could the OP have accessed the gas valve with the time spent on the phone and on this thread?
    I do applaud the time spent and the results in giving the homeowner the choice in replacing the unit or not.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

Post Likes
    I live in earthquake country, and there's no problem with unions. Piping that is threaded together will naturally have some give and take at each and every threaded fitting. Gas leaks are actually quite rare during earthquakes, at least if you consider how much gas piping is out there.

But I can tell you where I have seen a couple of gas leaks from an earthquake. On vertical piping going up to a roof. The piping will split on the seam.

If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

Post Likes
    I am guessing earthquake valves at the meter are not mandatory then? Or only on new installs?
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I live in earthquake country, and there's no problem with unions. Piping that is threaded together will naturally have some give and take at each and every threaded fitting. Gas leaks are actually quite rare during earthquakes, at least if you consider how much gas piping is out there.

But I can tell you where I have seen a couple of gas leaks from an earthquake. On vertical piping going up to a roof. The piping will split on the seam.
    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes

Your Opinion only, Snapper.

I don't see "20 guys in your thread telling you don't put the dam union in the cabinet". Well, possibly by using Common Core Math?

If You had paid Attention, .... You would see that I had stated before that The Clermont County Mechanical Department & The ORC both state that the "Union placed within the furnace cabinet" is Not A Code Violation.

Now, ... Since the Mech. Dept has Jurisdiction over both Residential, & Commercial Installations, & they Uphold the ORC (Ohio Revised Code), as well as the other Codes,......And Clermont County has Never Red Tagged me for placing a "Union" within the Furnace Cabinet, since 1982, .... Are You somehow suggesting, that based upon Your Opinion, & "Common Core Math", ... that I'm to accept the misinterpretation of the Code & "Assumed Power", brought about by this Duke Energy Subcontractor, & like a "Good lil' Sheeple", ... lay down & take it, & then go to my Customer & place that Economic Burden upon him?

That is not in My Genetic Make-up Snapper.

Now Understand this, ..... "If", The Code plainly stated that a "Union" could not be placed within that Cabinet", & "If" Duke Energy plainly had the Power to only look at a Furnace (Not Test It!), & Condemn/ Red Tag both, .......... Then I would have Obediently accepted it, & Told the Building Owner,... The Code is The Law, & You have to Comply.

In "The Trade", "Politics", "Religion", & "Life" Snapper, ... When there is an Abuse / Misinterpretation of "The Law", .... I don't Lay down & Take it, & then whimper about how unfair it is. I'll Speak Out/ Question, ... And if a "Talking Head" can not explain something that contradicts "Common Practice", then I'll work my way up the "Food Chain", & I have done that many a Time.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast