Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Do we live and work in a world where everyone working on these units are Journeymen Pipefitters? Or where unions are manufactured to the highest specs with the best materials? Would I feel comfortable as an inspector, manufacturer, homeowner or business owner if the above was true? Probably to the last question. Given the realities of the world we live in I think it is good practice to place unions outside the cabinet regardless of the local code.
    If quick access to the gas valve was really the issue how many times could the OP have accessed the gas valve with the time spent on the phone and on this thread?
    I do applaud the time spent and the results in giving the homeowner the choice in replacing the unit or not.
    "If quick access to the gas valve was really the issue how many times could the OP have accessed the gas valve with the time spent on the phone and on this thread?"

How Anal, can one be page?

You need to "Focus" upon what the Issue was/ Is, & not how you perceive it, after "Cherry Picking" your way through it.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

We are on a "Man-made Highway to Hell", Our so called "Leaders", Political & Religious, are encouraging The Mushroom like Sheeple to go faster.

(AC-DC Lyrics)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I live in earthquake country, and there's no problem with unions. Piping that is threaded together will naturally have some give and take at each and every threaded fitting. Gas leaks are actually quite rare during earthquakes, at least if you consider how much gas piping is out there.

But I can tell you where I have seen a couple of gas leaks from an earthquake. On vertical piping going up to a roof. The piping will split on the seam.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

We are on a "Man-made Highway to Hell", Our so called "Leaders", Political & Religious, are encouraging The Mushroom like Sheeple to go faster.

(AC-DC Lyrics)

Post Likes
    "If " your union you decided to install inside the cabinet placed next to FLAMES somehow begins to leak after some Act of God mishap, it will turn into a flame thrower with Absolutely NO means of stopping it , and said house burns to the ground

"If" the furnace somehow leaks inside on a Correctly piped furnace , the unit has several safety devices that will shut off gas flow , house is saved and furnace can be repaired

Notice any difference here ?

Adding the union 12 inches to the left isn't going to slow you down bud , just do it

4. Likes CDHCR liked this post
    Post Likes
    Earthquake valves are not mandatory. Not even on new installs. At least I haven't noticed them being installed; maybe I'll try to pay more attention from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    I am guessing earthquake valves at the meter are not mandatory then? Or only on new installs?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    "If " your union you decided to install inside the cabinet placed next to FLAMES somehow begins to leak after some Act of God mishap, it will turn into a flame thrower with Absolutely NO means of stopping it , and said house burns to the ground

"If" the furnace somehow leaks inside on a Correctly piped furnace , the unit has several safety devices that will shut off gas flow , house is saved and furnace can be repaired

Notice any difference here ?

Adding the union 12 inches to the left isn't going to slow you down bud , just do it
    "If", ... the Pipe fitting that You Install near a Source of Combustion has a defect that under pressure eventually begins to leak Snapper, ... "it will turn into a flame thrower with Absolutely NO means of stopping it , and said house burns to the ground"

"If", .... A Gas Valve Fails, (and back in the 90s, there was a Recall on Valves installed within Miller Furnaces, & I went out & replaced these Valves, at My expense & time, until I could be reimbursed by the Distributor/ Manufacturer) then again, ..."it will turn into a flame thrower with Absolutely NO means of stopping it , and said house burns to the ground"

The Astronauts climbed aboard the Shuttle "Challenger", & shortly after take off, ... It Blew Up. Perhaps a "Union" was placed within th' Cabinet?

Nothing that Man does, ..."Is Perfect".

The "difference", ... Is that those who have Authority to "Red Tag" a Union within a Furnace Cabinet, "If", it were against Code, thereby, preventing me from getting paid, until a Mechanical Department "Approval" is issued,... Are telling me that it is "Not a Problem".

In Fact, ... Per VTP99's post #40, ... & Spitz's post #7, ... It does not appear that at least Two Manufacturers gave any thought to "it will turn into a flame thrower with Absolutely NO means of stopping it , and said house burns to the ground" Holy Moley!!! How can that be?!?!

I'll continue with what has served me well since 1982 Snapper, until Those that have The Power, ... Tell me "No Dave. It Can Not Be Done, & Here is why.".

And, I will continue to Stand Up to any Party, be it a Utility, Politician, Civil Servant, "Religious Leader", etc., .... That Wrongly Uses & Corrupts the Power that has been granted to them.

But a Question here, ... Since You have this Grave Fear of "it will turn into a flame thrower with Absolutely NO means of stopping it , and said house burns to the ground", & the placement of a "Union" in your belief must be outside of the Furnace Cabinet & "12 inches to the left " , ...... How much Gas is, in Your Belief, is a Leaking "Union" allowed to emit, .... before it becomes a Hazard?

At what point, should a H.O., or Service Tech become Alarmed & Take Preventive Measures?

(AC-DC Lyrics)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Earthquake valves are not mandatory. Not even on new installs. At least I haven't noticed them being installed; maybe I'll try to pay more attention from now on.
    <<< My "Modified Like Button".

(AC-DC Lyrics)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567