Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    Utility companies do have a say with indoor piping they can refuse to turn on an unsafe gas service. Duke can and will shut you done for stuff like bushings or unions in house piping.

At the same time some of these Duke guys are stupid and make up rules. Their actual rules are in their manual they don't care about building codes. You have to play by their rules when your dealing with red tags.

Like I said before, ... I Think, ... I've had many a Furnace Inspected by Hamilton, & Clermont County, Mechanical Inspectors, that had "Unions" installed within inches of the Gas Valve, inside the Furnace Cabinet, & Never Once, was I questioned about it, nor told to relocate it outside of the Furnace Cabinet.

I'm not sure what Hamilton County & Cincinnati, is doing now about "Indoor Piping", but I do know that Clermont County now has Authority over that, & not Duke.

As far as the "Red-tags"? I will Play by th' rules, & Do, But, ... I haven't been "Red-tagged" in more than 28 Years, BUT, .. I have had several " Heated Debates" with a "Brain Dead" Inspector over the Interpretation of the Code, because they "Threatened a "Red Tag" & that Issue was quickly settled when I pulled out My Code Books, or took the Issue to the Inspectors Supervisor, where I got My Approval.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your Gods law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

We are on a "Man-made Highway to Hell", Our so called "Leaders", Political & Religious, are encouraging The Mushroom like Sheeple to go faster.

(AC-DC Lyrics)

Post Likes
    Looks good remember code books are permissive documents so if it doesn't out right say you can't do something you can.

Once you get the gas leak fixed just call them and tell them everything's fixed. More than likely the next guy out won't even care the unions in the furnace. If he does you can be there armed with the codes.

The only reason I stopped putting unions in the furnace is they are the most likely thing to leak. The goodmans I put in the whole upper compartment is sealed and open to the burners I don't want a small gas union leak making the thing blow the doors off. Even then not very likely and no issue on a furnace with a separately sealed burner compartment.
    I Agree, But, ... The Issue is this Sub-contractor stating on a "Mini-note" that was not on the "Red-Tag", left on the Site, but filed with Duke, that "the Furnace must be replaced, or Service will not be turned on."

This Dweeb, never turned the Furnace on, in order to test it, ... Nor, is there any Obvious Problem with the furnace, other than some dirt, a little rust, etc.

As far as Leaks Oldblue, .... I make sure that I don't have any, & "if" a union were to leak, within 6' ft of the furnace with an open burner, especially when the blower is on, ... What's to stop that from causing an Explosion/ Fire? Spitz, in Post#7 shows a Union Installed by the Manufacturer within the equipment, & I'm thinking that their Engineers, did it, for the same reason that I do, & that is Ease of Service.

Don't get me wrong, ... I Absolutely understand what You are saying, & I appreciate that, but, .. "Time" is $$$, on My part, & my Customers. Plus, ... having to undo several joints, also means that I have to carefully re-install them, & check them for leaks, vs, undoing the Union/ Valve/ Burner Assembly only.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your Gods law, I will also forget your children.

We are on a "Man-made Highway to Hell", Our so called "Leaders", Political & Religious, are encouraging The Mushroom like Sheeple to go faster.

(AC-DC Lyrics)

Post Likes
    The AHJ has authority over inspections for permits but it doesn't matter where you are in the US utility companies can refuse to provide service to something they deem unsafe in their own inspections.

I've never been red tagged but deal but red tags from Duke all the time. They can and will shut the gas off for sometimes the slightest of things inside the house. Anything past the gas shut off at the appliance they can't lock out the meter just shut the appliance off and red tag it. Before the appliance shut off, the meter gets locked and tagged.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post
    I Agree, But, ... The Issue is this Sub-contractor stating on a "Mini-note" that was not on the "Red-Tag", left on the Site, but filed with Duke, that "the Furnace must be replaced, or Service will not be turned on."

This Dweeb, never turned the Furnace on, in order to test it, ... Nor, is there any Obvious Problem with the furnace, other than some dirt, a little rust, etc.
    He can suck it they don't have the right unless it's obviously spilling CO or leaking gas just keep calling them out until you get someone that's not an idiot.

Post Likes
    He can suck it they don't have the right unless it's obviously spilling CO or leaking gas just keep calling them out until you get someone that's not an idiot.

(AC-DC Lyrics)

Post Likes
    The problem is clermonts inspection process sucks.

Probably same group zoning the apartments down on rumpke rd.

The last I heard, its less of a code, and more of a manufacturers recommendation.

The verbiage used to be

A union may not be located in the vestibule.

So, if your furnace has a sealed combustion box separating the union from the burners, good.

If it has open burners, no go.

Honestly though,I got in an argument in Amelia with county and duke 2 winters ago. Neither would pass the gas line on new furnace and gas line, until the other passed it first.

I ended up having them both there at the same time, let them argue it out. I dont remember who won, didnt care.

Take the union out of the furnace. Move on.

Post Likes
    Sometime in the past year that became part of our local code too. We put them outside the cabinet now. The best reason I was able to get out of anyone is that a union is the most probable thing to leak. And as we all know a leak inside the furnace cabinet can make quite a big boom on ignition. Good luck

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    The problem is clermonts inspection process sucks.

Probably same group zoning the apartments down on rumpke rd.

The last I heard, it’s less of a code, and more of a manufacturers recommendation.

The verbiage used to be

“A union may not be located in the vestibule.”

So, if your furnace has a sealed combustion box separating the union from the burners, good.

If it has open burners, no go.

Honestly though,’I got in an argument in Amelia with county and duke 2 winters ago. Neither would pass the gas line on new furnace and gas line, until the other passed it first.

I ended up having them both there at the same time, let them argue it out. I don’t remember who won, didn’t care.

Take the union out of the furnace. Move on.
    Hvac,

The verbiage used to be

“A union may not be located in the vestibule.”

How did the Inspector reference that? What Source?

Like I said, .... I've done it for decades & never, ever, had a problem, Via any of the Mechanical Inspectors in the "Greater Cinti." area.

"Honestly though,’I got in an argument in Amelia with county and duke 2 winters ago. Neither would pass the gas line on new furnace and gas line, until the other passed it first."

What was that Argument over?

(AC-DC Lyrics)

Post Likes
    Union in the furnace cabinet won't pass here.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post
    Hvac,

The verbiage used to be

A union may not be located in the vestibule.

How did the Inspector reference that? What Source?

Like I said, .... I've done it for decades & never, ever, had a problem, Via any of the Mechanical Inspectors in the "Greater Cinti." area.

"Honestly though,I got in an argument in Amelia with county and duke 2 winters ago. Neither would pass the gas line on new furnace and gas line, until the other passed it first."

What was that Argument over?
    No one ever quoted me anything, it was like 10 years ago.

The argument between clermont and duke was literally over who needed to inspect the gas piping first.

Clermont said duke needs to inspect and pass, and then clermont would inspect and passs
    Duke said clermont needs to inspect and pass, then duke would inspect and pass.

So literally each group wouldnt come out until the other passed the installation.

If I were you, Id call joe monde in cincy. If he hasnt retired by now. That dudes a beast.

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    Post Likes
    its a stupid rule made by stupid people. if a union is so leak prone OUTLAW THEM.

but really they're not. if there was enough gas leaking from a union to cause a fire or explosion in the furnace cabinet, that fire or explosion will happen outside the furnace just as easy. look around you right now. how many possible ignition sources do you see? they're all over.
    my boss thinks its possible to repeal the laws of physics

12. Likes BALloyd liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ch4man View Post
    its a stupid rule made by stupid people. if a union is so leak prone OUTLAW THEM.

but really they're not. if there was enough gas leaking from a union to cause a fire or explosion in the furnace cabinet, that fire or explosion will happen outside the furnace just as easy. look around you right now. how many possible ignition sources do you see? they're all over.
    The difference is a small leak gas could build up in a long off cycle in the furnace cabinet right by an ignition source. Where a small leaks not as likely to build up outside of the cabinet.

I see small leaks all the time with unions with people putting too much tention on them. Properly installed I'm not worried about a union in the furnace cabinet.

Post Likes
    Always put union 3 to 4 inches from gas valve. it won't leak if you tighten it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast