Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    The difference is a small leak gas could build up in a long off cycle in the furnace cabinet right by an ignition source. Where a small leaks not as likely to build up outside of the cabinet.

I see small leaks all the time with unions with people putting too much tention on them. Properly installed I'm not worried about a union in the furnace cabinet.
    correct, the rule should address the problem at the handle end of the pipe wrench, not the jaw end.

gas piping along with other parts of this trade need to be restricted to only those properly trained and licensed. a pipe fitter worth his salts builds piping systems that remain leak free for the life of the pipe
    my boss thinks its possible to repeal the laws of physics

Post Likes
    Most the newer residential furnaces I see you'd be lucky to get one pipe wrench in let alone two.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    No one ever quoted me anything, it was like 10 years ago.

The argument between clermont and duke was literally over who needed to inspect the gas piping first.

Clermont said duke needs to inspect and pass, and then clermont would inspect and passs
    Duke said clermont needs to inspect and pass, then duke would inspect and pass.

So literally each group wouldn’t come out until the other passed the installation.

If I were you, I’d call joe monde in cincy. If he hasn’t retired by now. That dudes a beast.
    Hvac,

Who is "joe monde"? What does he do?

Dave Payne, from down in Cinti., Ohio, is a Good Friend of mine, & he's saying the same things about Duke. He's given me some "Very heavy ammunition", so to speak , including contacting a man named Reynolds at the Bd of Building Standards, if this situation isn't soon straightened out. And he's referred me to a Bob Maylin, who is a Retired Mechanical Inspector, who "hangs out at" at KEP Electric, that his son in law owns.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

We are on a "Man-made Highway to Hell", Our so called "Leaders", Political & Religious, are encouraging The Mushroom like Sheeple to go faster.

(AC-DC Lyrics)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ch4man View Post
    its a stupid rule made by stupid people. if a union is so leak prone OUTLAW THEM.

but really they're not. if there was enough gas leaking from a union to cause a fire or explosion in the furnace cabinet, that fire or explosion will happen outside the furnace just as easy. look around you right now. how many possible ignition sources do you see? they're all over.

AMEN CH4!!!!!

And, .... to continue along the path of Paranoia, ...... Any joint, even Gas Valve, if exposed to excessive vibration, jarring, The H.O. using the gas-line as exercise equipment, or a means to pull a motor out of their car, etc. could lead to a Catastrophic Leak.

In My Belief, .... No Reputable Contractor would Take the H.O.'s $$$$, & leave the Job-site, knowing that a Situation existed that could result in Harm to Life &/or Property.

Of course, ... what the H.O. does to the Equipment, when the Job/ Service call is done, .... is beyond all "Reasonable Control". ---- "If", ... Lunatic Acts, committed by the H.O., is what Duke is worried about, .... then they'd better rip out All of their Gas & Electric Services from every building in their Jurisdiction, as a "Precaution".
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

We are on a "Man-made Highway to Hell", Our so called "Leaders", Political & Religious, are encouraging The Mushroom like Sheeple to go faster.

(AC-DC Lyrics)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    The difference is a small leak gas could build up in a long off cycle in the furnace cabinet right by an ignition source. Where a small leaks not as likely to build up outside of the cabinet.

I see small leaks all the time with unions with people putting too much tention on them. Properly installed I'm not worried about a union in the furnace cabinet.

(AC-DC Lyrics)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Galt View Post
    Always put union 3 to 4 inches from gas valve. it won't leak if you tighten it.

(AC-DC Lyrics)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Most the newer residential furnaces I see you'd be lucky to get one pipe wrench in let alone two.
    Understood VTP, ..... Yet, Wrenches &/or Plumbing channel locks, have to be used to install the piping.

One can't be a "Wild Bull in a China shop" when working inside the furnace Cabinet.

(AC-DC Lyrics)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post
    Understood VTP, ..... Yet, Wrenches &/or Plumbing channel locks, have to be used to install the piping.

One can't be a "Wild Bull in a China shop" when working inside the furnace Cabinet.
    That latter part might just be why manufacturers had put it into there IOM's. Like using a backup wrench on the gas valve to install the gas pipe. You have to tell some people the proper things to do.
    I understand your position and would fight the good fight on principle along.
    I have to ask though, on new installs where do you place the union ?
    Last edited by VTP99; 12-07-2018 at 04:16 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    That latter part might just be why manufacturers had put it into there IOM's. Like using a backup wrench on the gas valve to install the gas pipe. You have to tell some people the proper things to do.
    I understand your position and would fight the good fight on principle along.
    I have to ask though, on new installs where do you place the union ?

On New Installs, with there being room in the Cabinet, for some "Wild Wrench Maneuvering" , ... Lol! I'm Kiddin', "if" there's room for it, I'll put it as near as practically possible to the gas Valve. If not, I'll place it as near the Cabinet as possible, after the Shut-off & Drip leg.

(AC-DC Lyrics)

Post Likes
    On New Installs, with there being room in the Cabinet, for some "Wild Wrench Maneuvering" , ... Lol! I'm Kiddin', "if" there's room for it, I'll put it as near as practically possible to the gas Valve. If not, I'll place it as near the Cabinet as possible, after the Shut-off & Drip leg.
    👍

Post Likes
    As I said earlier, we can't put a union in the furnace, but we can use up to an 18" flex connector. It still has to be outside the furnace, but a 10" nipple to flex to source line makes for a pretty easy connection, and easy to replace gas valve too.

Post Likes
    Hvac,

Who is "joe monde"? What does he do?

Dave Payne, from down in Cinti., Ohio, is a Good Friend of mine, & he's saying the same things about Duke. He's given me some "Very heavy ammunition", so to speak , including contacting a man named Reynolds at the Bd of Building Standards, if this situation isn't soon straightened out. And he's referred me to a Bob Maylin, who is a Retired Mechanical Inspector, who "hangs out at" at KEP Electric, that his son in law owns.
    Joe is a city of Cincinnati inspector.
    Except that everyone at inspections listens.
    Kinda the guy that when he says something everyone listens.

My point was, is that if there was a code, he’d know it and be able to explain it to you.

If it wasn’t, he’d be able to tell you why they think it’s code.

Basically, he’s a living code book.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    Joe is a city of Cincinnati inspector.
    Except that everyone at inspections listens.
    Kinda the guy that when he says something everyone listens.

My point was, is that if there was a code, he’d know it and be able to explain it to you.

If it wasn’t, he’d be able to tell you why they think it’s code.

Basically, he’s a living code book.

I finally got moved up the "Food Chain", got to talk to a woman named Florence in the Gas Department & apparently she's the "Main Supervisor". She went through all of the notes & even uttered "What the hell have they done?". She Apologized & said that the Service Department didn't have the Authority to "Red-Tag" a furnace due to the "Union", nor on appearances/ brand of the furnace.

She also told me that this "Service Supervisor", who never responded to me, has been on Vacation, & that he'd be back Monday, & that a Resolution will be found.

Just to be sure about having all of the "Cards on the Table",... I'll include Joe Monde as a Contact, "if" this all falls apart, at that time.

While I'm thinking about it Hvac, ... Was this Monde brought in by Dewey Anderson, when he headed the Mechanical Department?

(AC-DC Lyrics)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123