+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gas Log Question

Post Likes

Gas Log Question

I'm planning on installing a gas fireplace log in to a Superior wood fireplace that is prepped for a gas log. I would like to get some heat out of the fireplace and I read that a vent-free unit would do that. But vent free supposedly produces an odor. My fireplace has a capability of bringing in outside air thru a vent controlled by a push/pull lever by the left side of the glass window. Will having this vent open help prevent the odor and make the fireplace more efficient?

Post Likes
    You have a vented fireplace, why not a non vent free logset?

Vent "free" just means the products of combustion including copious moisture are vented into the living space....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Madera View Post
    You have a vented fireplace, why not a non vent free logset?

Vent "free" just means the products of combustion including copious moisture are vented into the living space....
    Yes, I know a vented unit would be the logical way to go. But never having had a gas log before I thought the heat would just all go to the flue while my understanding is as vent free unit would give out heat (with the flue damper closed). That is why I am asking the experts.

Post Likes
    Vent free is a euphemism for “my house is a chimney.”
    Do you heat your garage by running the car in it?

In case I’ve been too subtle, I disapprove of ventless heaters.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    You can't have a fire in your living room with no vent and not have an odor.
    Vent free= bad idea. If you want heat look into a direct vent gas insert. A lot more money but worth it

Post Likes
    Least case issue with "Vent free" is you get a TON of moisture in the home... Might be a good thing if you have a drafty old victorian. But, if you have a modern relatively tight home, expect a lot of condensation on the windows, wood rot, and mold.

I like the Petersen real fire logs on a sand pan. Looks like the real thing. If your firebox is glass door and relatively airtight, you should get some heat out of it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Vent free is a euphemism for “my house is a chimney.”
    Do you heat your garage by running the car in it?

In case I’ve been too subtle, I disapprove of ventless heaters.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Madera View Post
    Least case issue with "Vent free" is you get a TON of moisture in the home... Might be a good thing if you have a drafty old victorian. But, if you have a modern relatively tight home, expect a lot of condensation on the windows, wood rot, and mold.

I like the Petersen real fire logs on a sand pan. Looks like the real thing. If your firebox is glass door and relatively airtight, you should get some heat out of it.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    I think at the beginning it is necessary to think through the ventilation, and then install a fireplace. In my opinion, it is logical: D
    Also, keep in mind that if the thrust in the air outlet is not enough, then you really start to have problems in the room, from smoke or moisture.

Post Likes
    A vented logset requires the damper be blocked wide open to maintain a stated "minimum permanent net free opening" which usually starts around 50 square inches. That equates to an 8" flue. Wide open. 24/7. You can install glass doors if they are listed for use with that fireplace but not aftermarket doors. That will minimize the loss of heated room air up the chimney when off duty but the doors must be wide open while burning.

A ventfree set has many special requirements. For starters your fireplace must be listed for use with VF. If it was built prior to May 1999, it can't possibly be listed for VF because that's when UL127 first offered the optional VF test. Not all units are listed for VF. You typically have to install an ugly canopy or hood across the opening if the mantel is less than about 14" away. As noted, when you burn for 3 hrs. at 33,000 BTU/hr. you've made one gallon of water. Yes, VF will stink. No, the combustion air kit will not help and could hurt if its on the downwind side. Those factory built fireplaces were not designed for heat output but convenience. If you really want heat, replace it with a listed hybrid half fireplace/ half woodstove that will legally and relatively safely cook you out of there.
    HTH

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    A vented logset requires the damper be blocked wide open to maintain a stated "minimum permanent net free opening" which usually starts around 50 square inches. That equates to an 8" flue. Wide open. 24/7. You can install glass doors if they are listed for use with that fireplace but not aftermarket doors. That will minimize the loss of heated room air up the chimney when off duty but the doors must be wide open while burning.

A ventfree set has many special requirements. For starters your fireplace must be listed for use with VF. If it was built prior to May 1999, it can't possibly be listed for VF because that's when UL127 first offered the optional VF test. Not all units are listed for VF. You typically have to install an ugly canopy or hood across the opening if the mantel is less than about 14" away. As noted, when you burn for 3 hrs. at 33,000 BTU/hr. you've made one gallon of water. Yes, VF will stink. No, the combustion air kit will not help and could hurt if its on the downwind side. Those factory built fireplaces were not designed for heat output but convenience. If you really want heat, replace it with a listed hybrid half fireplace/ half woodstove that will legally and relatively safely cook you out of there.
    HTH

We are hoping to have our remodeling done here before next winter, where we can burn wood, cook on the stove if necessary, & possibly employ some kind of coil to assist in our DHW needs.

After several severe ice & wind storms, it hit me, "What If", the power went out for longer than a week, & "What If", propane couildn't be delivered.

With the great abundance of firewood available here, ..... We're going to go Wood.

Post Likes
    Can I convert my gas logs from LP to natural gas or from natural gas to ... Can I remove my gas logs and burn wood on the hearth kit?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jackfowler View Post
    Can I convert my gas logs from LP to natural gas or from natural gas to ... Can I remove my gas logs and burn wood on the hearth kit?
    You can convert from LP to Natural Gas, only if, the Gas Valve is set up for conversion Jack.

As far as burning wood, in a fireplace that was made for Gas? The chances are very, very slim, that a Gas fired unit was manufactured to burn wood also.

If You can not find a Data plate, that Explicitly states that the unit is "Listed" for burning wood, then ABSOLUTELY Do Not Do It.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in