Post Likes

Trane UCM Vintage 2001

My customer is asking me to replace their existing controls on a Trane VAV AHU with gas heat, four compressors, and economizer. I looked in the unit and oh boy there is a ton of controls and wiring. It looks like I would need to take over a lot of control (refrigerant, condenser fans, etc.). The Trane controls work but they are not tied into the BAS and require them to go to the units and look at them via a display. The gas heat only engages when the unit is in morning warm up. They had an incident where their boilers went down and they couldn't get the heat on unless someone went to the unit and messed with the settings. Is there a better option? What do these units look like from a LON perspective? Thanks!

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Post Likes
    It sounds like you're describing an Intellipak RTU. Lon would be the easiest option with the scenario that you described. I don't have any experience pulling one into something other than Trane stuff though, so might be some caveats that I'm not aware of.

There's another option with a GBAS card. Generic BAS. I had to set one up for a 3rd party controls contractor that didn't have Lon as an option. Anyway, it has 4 or 5 0-5vdc or 0-10vdc inputs that you program through the display. All you can edit/program is what each input is set to. Example, input one is supply air setpoint, input two is static pressure setpoint. The ranges for the 0-5vdc or 0-10vdc are predefined in the IPAK and can not be edited. You'll have to do the scaling inside your controller. This might be an option depending on your exact situation. The GBAS card is not a standard card, so unless they included it from the factory you'll have to field install one.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by roadgear16 View Post
    It sounds like you're describing an Intellipak RTU. Lon would be the easiest option with the scenario that you described. I don't have any experience pulling one into something other than Trane stuff though, so might be some caveats that I'm not aware of.

There's another option with a GBAS card. Generic BAS. I had to set one up for a 3rd party controls contractor that didn't have Lon as an option. Anyway, it has 4 or 5 0-5vdc or 0-10vdc inputs that you program through the display. All you can edit/program is what each input is set to. Example, input one is supply air setpoint, input two is static pressure setpoint. The ranges for the 0-5vdc or 0-10vdc are predefined in the IPAK and can not be edited. You'll have to do the scaling inside your controller. This might be an option depending on your exact situation. The GBAS card is not a standard card, so unless they included it from the factory you'll have to field install one.
    I was thinking about that as an option, I wonder what LON points we can get out of it?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SnekyJedi View Post
    I was thinking about that as an option, I wonder what LON points we can get out of it?
    Should be something like attached, note there are two different profiles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Being a controls technician often reminds me of this story:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWy5sAr-WFc
    Especially when the customer complains about the bill.

Controls is a lifestyle not a job