Post Likes

How open is a Niagara AX license

I want to branch out to do program niagara for customers who have different manufactures Jace's
    I have the AX license for Workbench.
    I tried to commission a Distech EC- Bos ,but had much difficulty.
    So far Our Honeywell Jace customers ,fortunately. Have the software on their server
    I was told that the license is open, but the modules,and there are many, are different for each manufacturer.
    It would be more economical to just purchase a license for each manufacturer
    This irks me in the sense that a Jace is a Jace,and the commissioning software is basically the same for all vendors.

Post Likes
    It depends on the manufacturer. Some Honeywell are locked to only WEBS and some are open. I believe the majority of manufacturers are open but almost all have custom modules you will most likely need to ftp from the jace and some may require a license to function.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by controlgeek View Post
    It depends on the manufacturer. Some Honeywell are locked to only WEBS and some are open. I believe the majority are open but almost all have custom modules you will most likely need to ftp from the jace and some may require a license to function.
    My experience is the opposite mostly see closed Honeywell Jaces. If getting into Honeywell Jace you are bound to have to deal with Spyder's yet another can of Moneywell worms with the need to have many different versions of the software, maybe free to Moneywell integrators but difficult for us outsides to keep up with.

Controls is a lifestyle not a job

Post Likes
    I meant the majority of manufacturers not Honeywell. I've been down the spyder rabbit hole a few times unfortunately.

Post Likes
    What Controlgeek said.
    I've used a few versions of workbench, so far they've all been able to talk to any other oem's JACE.
    I've heard a couple, like the Spyders & TONNs are locked down, but to date I've not had to work with them.
    Distech's wizard needs a licence. No wizard, no gfx if you're using ECB's or ECL's.
    Lots of BMS companies use in house modules. I seriously think at times just in an attempt to make it harder for the competition to take over. Some of these may have licences, or utilise a subscription service. It's up to you & your client to decide to keep those or replace them.
    Last edited by FreezerGeezer; 12-03-2018 at 04:45 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by FreezerGeezer View Post
    TONNs are locked down
    Default that way, but for almost nothing you can open them up. Some always just order the open option so they are not tied at the hip with HW. TL1s, forget it, they require Alerton or Trend branded WB to access. Some if you walk the valley of death can be opened to HW.

The vendor specific crap is the biggest hassle. Some jars will be license locked and sucking them out of a station is a total waste of time. Stripping it out of a station isn't a trivial task either so your options in these cases aren't great.

Least with what I have run into, well more than half is have been open free and clear. That said, we have a short list we know not to bother with. Outside of that, it helps to have a access to more than one Tbox brand if you run into them enough. Still a better situation than most that are a complete roadblock.

Customers should require open licenses and no vendor specific modules, plain and simple.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/