Post Likes

Change out legal requirements. New licensed contractor!

I just passed my h3-1 exam and have a couple change outs to do. Just lost on all the steps to do a change out legally with permits and such. Trying to be legit! Any help appreciated!

Post Likes
    It would help to know where you are!

Post Likes
    Yea I’m sorry! North Carolina

Post Likes
    Do you mean the admin steps? If you have a business license you can call your local cities permitting department and get your account set up. Ours requires a small bond to cover permit fees. Once you’re setup you can call in the permit or use their online site to get a permit issued. They’ll ask what type of permit (mechanical, electrical) and ask for the btu of cooling and or heating. If you have a limited electrical permit you can use that to pull your electrical permit, otherwise your electrician has to pull his own permit. Once job is complete call or use website to schedule inspection. They should give you a rough time of when to expect the inspector to show up. Call homeowner and advise them if they need to be there to provide access. If you need to have a ladder or other means to access mechanical epuipment make sure you provide it or they can turn you down. I haven’t had to deal with it in years so a few details may have changed but that’s how my experience went.

Post Likes
    No insurance required? Do I have to bring everything up to code for a change out? I work for school system and haven’t had to do the administration part of it I don’t want to be chasing my tail because it wasn’t right. Ahu on one of them is in pita spot in a closet as far as access. And if there wasn’t a disconnect at the unit prior do I need to install one (code)?????

Post Likes
    Another thing �� I sent my “activate licence” form with $$$ off a week ago, what’s usually the turn around?

Post Likes
    You need contractors insurance. As far as code goes you have to have matching system. 14 deer with 14 seer. Disconnect is a must. Access is a pain I agree. If it won’t pass access requirements in mechanical code you must change it so it will pass. Observe manufacturers minimum clearance and electrical clearances as well. I know guys that skimp and can get away with it but remember it’s your ass on the line now. If something goes wrong you’ll pay to fix it. Not just now but as long as the system is around.

Post Likes
    I don’t have anyone working for me it’s just me going to be working under my name for now. So your talking general liability? The change outs I have lined up now are for friends that I’ve been doing work for awhile. If I can help it I hate to pay insurance if I don’t have to until I’m somewhat established

Post Likes
    If I remember correctly you’ve got to have proof of it before they will let you pull permits. Even if they don’t please don’t do any until you do. Doesn’t take much to set a fire while brazing or not tighten a high voltage wire or something. It’s for your friends protection too.

Post Likes
    So get gl insurance, register with permitting depo and get bonded, pull permits, do simple change out, call inspector, get inspected. Mercy! How much to get bonded??? Inspection fee included with permit???

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman69 View Post
    So get gl insurance, register with permitting depo and get bonded, pull permits, do simple change out, call inspector, get inspected. Mercy! How much to get bonded??? Inspection fee included with permit???
    Amazing how quickly that big fat check disappears?

Post Likes
    Boding depends on how much coverage you want or are required to have. Call State Farm or another insurance company to get a quote. The permit covers the first trip out there but it costs extra if he fails you and has to come back

Post Likes
    Dude you been so much of a help! I really appreciate it