Post Likes

Hmm Insulating fire dampers

Do you insulate fire dampers in the wall or just insulate to wall? I saw some that had some type of insulation sprayed on them THOUGHTS?

Post Likes
    Just to the wall. You should install per the iom which has the opening framed slightly larger than damper size. Angle over lap by one inch...

Post Likes
    Hilti makes some nice firestop products. Caulks, blocks, puttys, sleeves ect...

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Local code dictates when a wall needs a fire damper. When a fd is needed, install per the iom. You don’t need any fire caulk product, and certainly no insulation through the wall.

Post Likes
    The only fire damper work I do is helping our tinners in hospital work. Our hospitals our inspected by Joint Commision. As far as I know ducts passing thru a fire wall must be wrapped in angle iron, caulked and properly labeled.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Caulk not required...caulk is “allowed”, but really more a problem. Check out Ruskin dot com install directions.

Ruskin is one brand. Really need to check the iom of the brand you are installing.

Post Likes
    Fire dampers must be installed exactly as indicated in the manufacturer’s instructions in order to achieve the required fire rating. Some have angle on one side of wall or other variables regarding gaps, caulk, etc. The MFRs instructions are how the damper was UL tested.

I am not aware of any with insulation inside the wall. Usually just up to each side.