+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nothing special

Post Likes
    why is one return air intake behind a door that would mostly block the air going in to it when open?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pctech View Post
    why is one return air intake behind a door that would mostly block the air going in to it when open?
    I agree with the conduit, normally I do run it in conduit but it didn’t happen on this job. I split the return between the living room and the master bed. Even with the door open I don’t believe it will affect it enough to hurt anything. I’ve started adding more returns to my installs here lately and always putting one in the master bed, sometimes 3 or 4 throughout the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Looks great! I know you wanted stuff in before the drywallers got there, but surface mounting those brackets for future removal would have been helpful. 15-20 years from now, who knows what size the equipment will be. Shorter and fatter? Longer and skinnier? There's not much room for dimensional changes when it's time to replace, so the drywall will have to be cut up to unscrew the brackets and lower them if necessary.

And, after reading my response, it occurs to me how ticky tack my only negative comment is. Nice work!
    Wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.

In your darkest hour, when the demons come, call on me brother and we shall fight them together.

A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Post Likes
    Regarding the returns behind the doors: That's fairly common practice in these parts. When the door is closed the room has a return in it. When the door is open the air can return to the grilles in the main living areas through the open door.
    Wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.

In your darkest hour, when the demons come, call on me brother and we shall fight them together.

A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by doc havoc View Post
    Regarding the returns behind the doors: That's fairly common practice in these parts. When the door is closed the room has a return in it. When the door is open the air can return to the grilles in the main living areas through the open door.
    I told the builder from the start that I didn’t like it, for one not only the install was harder but service work is more of a pain and for future replacement. Every option I offered got turned down so I rolled with it and made the best of it. This particular job would’ve been ideal for 2 wall mount Mitsubishi’s but they didn’t want them...personally I believe that’s where the future is going but for now we can only assume that myself or another company will be cussing me when the unit has to be replaced lol at least I made sure there’s not that “one last screw” that holds up the whole removal process. Thanks for your thoughts and opinions, that’s why I like to post on here, I can never quit learning and drive myself to be better at every job from what I learn.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by UrAverageAguy View Post
    I agree with the conduit, normally I do run it in conduit but it didn’t happen on this job. I split the return between the living room and the master bed. Even with the door open I don’t believe it will affect it enough to hurt anything. I’ve started adding more returns to my installs here lately and always putting one in the master bed, sometimes 3 or 4 throughout the house.

That's a good practice i see so many jobs with undersized return or just one return.It's best to have one in every bedroom if not ducted at least a transfer

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coharra88 View Post
    That's a good practice i see so many jobs with undersized return or just one return.It's best to have one in every bedroom if not ducted at least a transfer
    I see undersized duct at 90% of the houses I go to. I lose several change outs because I price them to add vents or increase the duct size. It’s honestly impressive to see how tough some of the R22 systems are. They can have Zero airflow, under charged/over charged, with years of dirt and grass on the condenser coil and never check up. You only get the service call because it’s a few degrees off on the stat, when it’s 95 outside lol

Point being I’ve started going out of my way to insure our new high pressurized systems have as much air as they can get and that it’s balanced correctly.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    I've used 1 1/2" Electrical tape. UV Rated better looking then the cheap plastic with all the writing on it!

Hate wire ties on armor flex
    Where do you get 1-1/2" electrical tape?
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Post Likes
    thanks for sharing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    Where do you get 1-1/2" electrical tape?
    https://www.mscdirect.com/industrial...ical-tape.html

Post Likes
    I see undersized duct at 90% of the houses I go to. I lose several change outs because I price them to add vents or increase the duct size. It’s honestly impressive to see how tough some of the R22 systems are. They can have Zero airflow, under charged/over charged, with years of dirt and grass on the condenser coil and never check up. You only get the service call because it’s a few degrees off on the stat, when it’s 95 outside lol

Point being I’ve started going out of my way to insure our new high pressurized systems have as much air as they can get and that it’s balanced correctly.

They worked because they are often oversized systems. Maybe next time try a fujitsu slim duct option.

Post Likes
    I always make it a point to have my way and not install a furnace before the drywall is done, I don't even install ductwork if I can help it.
    It's not what you're capable of doing that defines you, it's what you do on a daily basis.

Post Likes
    I just loving how you mounted the equipment, big thumbs up.👍👍
    It's not what you're capable of doing that defines you, it's what you do on a daily basis.

14. Likes UrAverageAguy liked this post.
    Post Likes
    One thing I like to do when wrapping snaplock is put my straps on first and Then wrap, because in Florida I need all that good R value, I feel like over time it could start to sweat on the bottom because of the metal strap cutting into the insulation. What do you want think about that?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coharra88 View Post
    One thing I like to do when wrapping snaplock is put my straps on first and Then wrap, because in Florida I need all that good R value, I feel like over time it could start to sweat on the bottom because of the metal strap cutting into the insulation. What do you want think about that?
    I can see your theory being true especially in your climate and mine due to hot summers and high humidity. I think it would be easier to add a 3” strip if insulation on the outside to “cushion” the strap. Also about the high humidity, depending on where the duct is condensation will form on the outside if the trunkline regardless of the R value or how sealed the duct is...I’ve argued with inspectors seven times about it.

Post Likes
    The main breaker panel is about 10’ away from the unit.

Install looks very clean and nice. Code here always makes us install a switch right at the unit, they say just in case there’s a problem and it needs to be turned off or someone getting electrocuted, or as a safety if you are working on it and someone’s blow drying their hair, trips the breaker and comes along and turns all the breakers back on and you get lit up or even killed, and he said it really mean, I wanted to cry... LOL

Post Likes

Man, I am in the same boat, but they always call me to come when “that other guy” wont answer his phone after he is paid and “done” I just don’t get it, how some of these guys can sleep at night

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in