Post Likes

Walk in cooler temperature not lowering

Hello all, I am an equipment owner and in no way knowledgable about refrigeration. I have a vollrath roof top compressor controlled walk in cooler . Two weeks ago the compressor died and was replaced. For a few days the temperature was holding at about 34-36 . I come in about a week later to find it at 39 degrees. Lowering the thermostat had no effect. I contact my HVAC guy who replaced the compressor and he said this was nothing to worry about.Well, I NEED the temp to be in the 34-36 range. Slowly over a few days the temp began to rise. 39 to 40, and today 41 degrees. I again contacted him but he has not yet gotten back to me. I'm a nervous wreck because the compressor repair was very costly and I fear anther costly repair. My questions are 1. This is not normal, right? 2.Without any technical info is it possible to suggest possible culprits? 3.Is there a way to keep product colder while waiting for repair man, like ice in a large chest? Thank you very much for any expertise you can impart.

Post Likes
    Was the cause of the compressor failure determined and corrected?

Not responding is not a good sign.

Post Likes
    The compressor was replaced with a new one.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by debbiedoescakes View Post
    The compressor was replaced with a new one.
    Compressors don’t just die. Generally there murdered. The tech should find the cause and correct that.

As far as your current problem yes it should operate between 35 & 40*F

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Compressors don’t just die. Generally there murdered. The tech should find the cause and correct that.

As far as your current problem yes it should operate between 35 & 40*F
    Haha! I feel like somebody murdered me! It was a very, very old compressor . Hopefully he can schedule a service call for me very soon. Any advice about the best thing to do in the meantime? I read dry ice, but I know that comes with it's own dangers.Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

Post Likes
    Assume you are a commercial customer for this HVAC guy. I'd start bugging him incessantly to come and Fix your cooler. That is what we do. How we keep customers.... happy.

Also assume that you did not piss him off by not paying?

Post Likes
    haha, no I paid him :-)

Post Likes
    Dry ice temporarily.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    Our customers check each box every morning.
    If its above 40° we tell them to call.
    Walk Ins take priority over other service calls.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Check for icing of the evaporator coils. 34 degrees is too cold unless you have defrost capabilities.
    If it is frosted over, try turning off compressor until you can see clear through the evap coil. (Box temperature will probably rise) Turn it back on and see if you hit 34 degrees.
    If it works now, try turning stat up 4 degrees and stepping it down over a few days. A one degree setting change is going to make a huge difference if defrosting is the issue. Health code says 38 degrees is what they want. It use to be 40 and this has caused al ot of defrosting issues when requirements changed to 38.

If coil starts freezing at one end, probably a refrigerant leak.