+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: WHAT BRAND OF CAPACITOR DO YOU CARRY ???

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    who - your oncologist

why - prolonged exposure often result in cancers of various types

Post Likes
    i guess PCB oil just don't work well as main component for capacitors.

Post Likes
    PCB capacitors were the best, they were self healing.

Post Likes
    so why Amrad las so long ??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AIRCON8 View Post
    so why Amrad las so long ??
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_fW148JesA - HVAC Run Capacitors Factory Tour

6. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    Mars, made in the USA.
    Correction: Mars are assembled in the USA. Titan HD and Amrad made in the USA not just assembled in the USA.
    -Marty

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by m singer View Post
    Correction: Mars are assembled in the USA. Titan HD and Amrad made in the USA not just assembled in the USA.
    Mars uses BMI.

http://www.bmicaps.com/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    i'm wondering if Titan HD are BMI too

Post Likes
    Anyone know who make TITAN HD capacitors ??

Post Likes
    This is a question asked by many beginners. I will give you a simple answer to this question without going into all the details. After reading this, my goal is that you should be able to go and find the capacitor you need right away.

I have also written about how to choose capacitor values that I recommend you check out.

Different capacitor types

Polarization
    First of all, we boil it down to two capacitor types:

Polarized capacitor
    Non-polarized capacitor
    The difference between a polarized capacitor and a non-polarized capacitor is that the polarized capacitor has a positive and a negative side. So it must be placed with the positive pin where the most positive voltage is. You can place the non-polarized capacitor in any way you want.

Do you need a polarized capacitor? Or a non-polarized capacitor? To figure this out, look at you schematic diagram. What capacitor symbol is used?

These are non-polarized capacitors:

Schematic Symbols Capacitor US Style
    These are polarized capacitors:

Polarized capacitors
    If you need a polarized capacitor, you need something called an “electrolytic” capacitor. There are two types of electrolytic capacitors:

Aluminum
    Tantalum
    Aluminum
    The most common is the aluminum capacitors. It is also the cheapest of the two. Aluminum caps usually come as through-hole components. But you can find some surface mount versions of it as well. Choose aluminum caps unless you have any special requirements.

electrolytic-capacitor

Tantalum
    If you need a smaller and more durable capacitor, you should choose the tantalum type.

Tantalum caps are available in small surface mount packages. They can work in a wide temperature range. Note that some tantalum caps come in non-polarized version also.

Tantalum capacitors

Non-polarized capacitors
    If you need a non-polarized capacitor, look for either a ceramic or a film capacitor.

Ceramic caps are small and cheap. It’s the most common choice for non-polarized capacitors. They are often used as decoupling capacitors.

Ceramic capacitors

If you have any special requirements like low tolerance, high reliability or a capacitor that is able to operate under high temperatures, then choose a film capacitor. It is much better for this.

Film caps can be made of polystyrene, polycarbonate or Teflon. They each have their own properties, but that is out of the scope of this page.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by niamishra View Post
    This is a question asked by many beginners. I will give you a simple answer to this question without going into all the details. After reading this, my goal is that you should be able to go and find the capacitor you need right away.

I have also written about how to choose capacitor values that I recommend you check out.

Different capacitor types

Polarization
    First of all, we boil it down to two capacitor types:

Polarized capacitor
    Non-polarized capacitor
    The difference between a polarized capacitor and a non-polarized capacitor is that the polarized capacitor has a positive and a negative side. So it must be placed with the positive pin where the most positive voltage is. You can place the non-polarized capacitor in any way you want.

Do you need a polarized capacitor? Or a non-polarized capacitor? To figure this out, look at you schematic diagram. What capacitor symbol is used?

These are non-polarized capacitors:

Schematic Symbols Capacitor US Style
    These are polarized capacitors:

Polarized capacitors
    If you need a polarized capacitor, you need something called an “electrolytic” capacitor. There are two types of electrolytic capacitors:

Aluminum
    Tantalum
    Aluminum
    The most common is the aluminum capacitors. It is also the cheapest of the two. Aluminum caps usually come as through-hole components. But you can find some surface mount versions of it as well. Choose aluminum caps unless you have any special requirements.

electrolytic-capacitor

Tantalum
    If you need a smaller and more durable capacitor, you should choose the tantalum type.

Tantalum caps are available in small surface mount packages. They can work in a wide temperature range. Note that some tantalum caps come in non-polarized version also.

Tantalum capacitors

Non-polarized capacitors
    If you need a non-polarized capacitor, look for either a ceramic or a film capacitor.

Ceramic caps are small and cheap. It’s the most common choice for non-polarized capacitors. They are often used as decoupling capacitors.

Ceramic capacitors

If you have any special requirements like low tolerance, high reliability or a capacitor that is able to operate under high temperatures, then choose a film capacitor. It is much better for this.

Film caps can be made of polystyrene, polycarbonate or Teflon. They each have their own properties, but that is out of the scope of this page.
    I didn't ask for anything, and i'm not a beginner !!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AIRCON8 View Post
    I didn't ask for anything, and i'm not a beginner !!
    That's funny. I just read the entire thread and you asked the same question about 5 times and multiple other questions. To make a statement that you didn't ask for anything is crazy.

Post Likes
    funny

Post Likes
    I am aware that this one is an old thread. but...

Almost 5 years ago, I replaced the original 19 yo GE Capactor in my unit, because it was reading a lil under. I used the Genteq with the same part number as the GE capacitor. Well, the replacement failed after 1769 days, which would roughly come up to 15,000 hours of actual use. The box on the Genteq indicated 60,000 hour reliability.... yeah right.

After 4 years the top of the Genteq was all rusty. I cleaned it and applied a clear coat to protect it.

To get the unit running I used the 19 yo capacitor which I had kept. Now I am trying to find a better replacement
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Likes
    Capacitors are designed to fail now

Get used to it

Trade Pro , Amrad , are good caps , but dont expect any where near 19 years
    Tell your Cat I said "Psst Psst Psst"

It seems like everywhere I go the AC is broken

17. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Go back to PCB's 😉

19. Likes EugeneTheJeep liked this post.
    Post Likes

Post Likes
    Light bulbs are designed to fail. Capacitor mfgs. Followed

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

22. Likes R600a liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitz View Post
    Light bulbs are designed to fail. Capacitor mfgs. Followed

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    All manufacturers followed with the possible exception of manufacturers of things like the Mars rovers and space station component manufacturers.
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the your suggestions.

Amrad did not have the capacitance I needed in the size that fits nicely in the unit.

I decided to try BMI capacitors. Their literature is excellent, and they supposedly meet EIA546A.
    https://www.bmicaps.com

I found this article helpful:
    https://www.ien.com/product-developm...ing-capacitors

Time will tell.

lol @ "tell your cat..."

25. Likes EugeneTheJeep liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in