Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VOC Elimination

Post Likes
    Any organized fresh air ventilation? Most suggest a fresh air change in 4-5 hours when the home is occupied with normal materials in the home. Without fresh air change, the home will vary with VOC levels depending on operation of exhaust devices, stack effect, and wind.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    Any organized fresh air ventilation? Most suggest a fresh air change in 4-5 hours when the home is occupied with normal materials in the home. Without fresh air change, the home will vary with VOC levels depending on operation of exhaust devices, stack effect, and wind.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Teddy - Your advice has been invaluable to me over the years and there is no doubt fresh air intake is the fastest, surest way to bring down VOC levels.

But in the case under discussion I think a VOC test is indicated. Readings of 1000 - 3000 ppb are huge and troubling. I have doubts on the accuracy of consumer VOC meters but the readings should be confirmed.

One thing to keep in mind is that VOCS boil at temperatures much higher that ambient levels. So if VOCS are present in the air then they are off gassing from liquids from surfaces. Fresh air intake will quickly resolve the VOCS in the air but will not eliminate the source. With the high levels reported I think a VOC test is the next step and Fresh air asap.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12