Post Likes

Residential indoor Air Quality Test for Molds

I have been getting several quotes for residential indoor Air quality tests since I have been experience health issues and I want to rule out molds as being the culprit. I have received 4 quotes ranging from $545 to $1200 for the basic air test where they will test the air on each level of my house or area of my house which amounts to four separate areas plus the outside air. They will send these samples to the lab. In addition, they will do a visual inspection of each room to see if there are any additional evidences of mold. All quotes do not appear to do a thorough check of each room using additional equipment e.g. lasers but rather only a visual look. This seems like such a wide range of quotes for the same thing. Is there anything I should be aware of when comparing these different vendors. I am in the Toronto Area (north of the city).

Post Likes
    Why don't you buy mold-test-kits and do the testing yourself?

That being said: molds of all kinds are everywhere - you cannot avoid them.

And; molds only grow when the relative humidity is over 50%.

Wouldn't it be most positively productive to ventilate your house with small amounts of controlled outside air and to maintain the indoor humidity at less than 50% RH?

I personally favor whole house electronic air cleaners as they remove about 99% of everything from the airstream. Mold spores are 'things in the air'.

PHM
    ---------

Quote Originally Posted by thaller View Post
    I have been getting several quotes for residential indoor Air quality tests since I have been experience health issues and I want to rule out molds as being the culprit. I have received 4 quotes ranging from $545 to $1200 for the basic air test where they will test the air on each level of my house or area of my house which amounts to four separate areas plus the outside air. They will send these samples to the lab. In addition, they will do a visual inspection of each room to see if there are any additional evidences of mold. All quotes do not appear to do a thorough check of each room using additional equipment e.g. lasers but rather only a visual look. This seems like such a wide range of quotes for the same thing. Is there anything I should be aware of when comparing these different vendors. I am in the Toronto Area (north of the city).
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Why don't you buy mold-test-kits and do the testing yourself?

PHM
    ---------
    Thank you Poodle for your response. I was entertaining to buy a mold-test-kit and do it myself but I was reading this article. As a new member, this forum will not allow me to post links, but the article is at moldreport dot com and then click on "Can I Use Home Mold Testing Kits?"

The report cites a number of reasons why DIY mold kits are not a good idea vs a professional.

Any further thoughts?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thaller View Post
    Thank you Poodle for your response. I was entertaining to buy a mold-test-kit and do it myself but I was reading this article. As a new member, this forum will not allow me to post links, but the article is at moldreport dot com and then click on "Can I Use Home Mold Testing Kits?"

The report cites a number of reasons why DIY mold kits are not a good idea vs a professional.

Any further thoughts?
    Another option is to test for Mold VOCs. As opposed to looking for spores, this test will detect the biological metabolites of mold growth.
    The test are done by credentialed labortories. In additions this test will provide total VOCs in your living spaces with specifics if you desire.
    Cost is about 150 - 200 per room.
    Here are two sources I've used before:
    1. https://homeaircheck.com/products/ Least Expensive.
    2.https://www.fikeanalytical.com/ High Quality, recommended

Be sure to let them know you are interested in mold VOCs.

Post Likes
    Mold and dust mites are major causes to indoor air quality problems. The other suggest of fresh air to purge indoor pollutants and and renew oxygen. Your climate this time of year is dry and mold spores will be low. Dust mite allergen is in your upholstered surfaces that will bother you year around. The mites are dormant after the indoor %RH goes below 50% for 2-3 weeks. The mites grow any place skin scale accumulate. Bedding, carpeting, and upholstered surfaces.
    Keep the %RH <50% throughout the summer and mold and dust mites die. The allergens loss strength.

Most homes get enough fresh air during winter weather naturally from the winds and stack effect. As temperatures moderate in the 3 mild seasons of the year, natural ventilation declines to the point that you may only get a fresh air change in +10 hours, need a fresh air change in 4-5 when occupied.
    If you home is dry in the winter with no signs of moisture on the windows or on the dry side, your ok now.
    But nest spring, you should add a small steady fresh filtered air stream when occupied. But next spring, get the fresh air ventilation going. Being in a green grass climate and getting a fresh air change in 4-5 hours, you find that maintain <50%RH will be impossible because the a/c does not operate enough during evenings and rainy days to maintain <50%RH. The moisture from the fresh air when the outdoor dew points are +55^F plus the moisture from the occupants can be upto 4-5 lbs. of moisture removal is needed to maintaing 50%RH inside, <55^F Dew point.
    To make it simple many are opting for a small whole house dehumidifier like one of our sponsors sells, Ultra-Aire.
    ULtra-Aire.com
    These units will supply the right amount of fresh air on an occupancy schedule or with a CO2 controller to monitor the fresh air.
    Air quality testing not reliable because of the changing weather conditions.
    These units will keep your home dry throughout all the weather conditions that you have in green grass climate. I assume that your a/c is capable of maintain <50%RH during significant cooling loads, if not get it looked at. Your a/c tech and connect the whole house dehumidifier to your a/c with fresh duct. A year of fresh air and keeping a home dry fixes most indoor air quality problems.
    No wet spots allowed any place in the home. Leaky windows, roofs, and basements.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"