Post Likes

CA Fires - Indoor Air Quality

Hey all -

With the CA fires going on right now, the AQI is measuring between 200-300 (250 now outside where I live). I feel this in my chest, nose and lungs; it's horrible.

I have two little girls (one is 2 years and one is 3 months); naturally I'm super concerned about the air quality and risk to their less developed systems. I have changed all my HVAC filters, but need to do everything I can to clean the air inside.

What air cleaners do you all recommend for throwing in their room? Based on Randy's last post, I'm not thinking Molekule is the right answer...what portable air cleaners do you all recommend?

This is the second time in 2 months the smoke from a fire has been this bad; I don't think this trend is going to get any better (sadly). We're building a new house (and throwing in a Ulta-Aire ventilating dehumidifier)...now I'm wondering if I should buy some portable air cleaners or put in an HVAC system instead. The Ultra-Aire does no good in these conditions...so not sure what the best route to go would be! I've seen the IQAir systems, wondering if I should consider these? Looks like it's ~$3k...

-Kevin

Post Likes
    Be careful about putting a highly restrictive filter in your furnace. There are alot of stand alone units out there. In my opinion simple is good. I bought a Whirlpool Whispure 510 a few years ago to run in the bedroom to help with ragweed allergies. And gives a nice fan noise at night. Its just a carbon pre-filter, HEPA filter and a fan. I am amazed of how much dirt this thing picks up. I vacuum the pre-filter every few months. As you can see its due lol. It has been running 24/7 365 for probabley 4 years. There are some high dollar units out there but this is a nice one.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinsf1 View Post
    Hey all -
    With the CA fires going on right now, the AQI is measuring between 200-300 (250 now outside where I live). I feel this in my chest, nose and lungs; it's horrible.
    Based on Randy's last post, I'm not thinking Molekule is the right answer...what portable air cleaners do you all recommend?
    -Kevin
    Hi Kevin,
    Evidently my post was not clear - Apologies.
    I did Not find the MoleKule effective for VOC reduction. I've provided a snippet of my post concerning the MoleKule below.
    What you need is good HEPA filtration for the fallout from the fires. Most of the immediate danger is particulate matter. This can be effectively reduced with HEPA filtration.
    See my previous post section on Particulate Matter. Particulate Matter and VOC are distinct components of IAQ. Your most immediate concern is Particulate Matter pollution. Easy to contain indoors with external HEPA devices.
    I use a couple of Coway units. The benefit/cost ratio of this device is very high.

I suggest these two links for more info:
    https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-air-purifier/
    https://smartairfilters.com/cn/en/

Here's summary of my findings about the MoleKule. I did not fine it effective for VOC reduction:
    Some notes about the MoleKule device:
    1.MoleKule is a variant of PCO called PECO. This is a valid, patented technology developed by real academic scientists.
    Here’s a Wikipedia discussion:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoe...ical_oxidation

The claim is that PECO produces more oxidizing agents than standard PCO.

2.The device produces No ozone. Most PCO device produce ozone. What’s wrong with ozone:
    https://cfpub.epa.gov/airnow/index.c...oduphigh.index

3.The device uses UVA photons as opposed to UVC. UVA LEDs can be used instead of UVC bulbs.
    This means a much longer life span. No need to replace bulbs every year or so.
    Not to mention decreasing performance as the bulbs wear out.

4.MoleKule contracted a professional 3rd party testing and provided all the details.
    Unfortunately their testing for VOCs does not relate to real world residences.
    See this post on Reddit for details:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/molekule/co...voc_reduction/
    In short reducing an extremely high concentration of single VOC in a small container to much lower
    but still elevated levels does not mimic the environment in our homes

5.My interactions with the folks at MoleKule have been stellar –way beyond the best that I
    ever expected. I won’t go into details but the engineers and scientists at MoleKule have
    devoted significant time and material in attempting to resolve my issues.
    These guys are real scientiest that publish in scientific journals.

Testing
    I tested 3 devices, two carbon units and the MoleKule using the ppbRAE3000 that I rented
    from Pine Environmental. I was confident that the ppbRAE3000 was reliable for relative readings.
    I positioned the ppbRAe directly in the exhaust of the carbon and MoleKule units. I tested both side by side
    in a number of different locations. I let the MoleKule run for days in different rooms before testing. I also let the MoleKule run for up to 24 hours between test.

Results:
    Austin Air HP+ - Measured a 20 – 30 percent decrease within minutes
    TerraBloom – Measured a 60 – 70 percent decrease within minutes
    MoleKule – Never measured any significant reduction under a host of testing conditions

Could I be doing something wrong? Absolutely but for the life of me I can figure out what.
    Perhaps the MoleKule needs to run for days or weeks for significant reduction. If that’s true MoleKule should say so.

Recently MoleKule announced that they have new 3rd party VOC testing soon to be released. Maybe that will throw some light on the discrepancies.