+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fireplace Gas Valve Problem

Post Likes

Question Fireplace Gas Valve Problem

Our house was built in the 1970s (we’ve lived in it for 2 years now) and we recently had the chimney cleaned and a gas log system installed. The chimney/fireplace serviceman said the gas valve had a unique key (one that he had only seen one or two times). After he installed the gas log system he turned the gas valve on using a flathead screwdriver since he said the key is rare/hard to find. However, I feel like over time, using a flat head screwdriver will strip this piece of metal and make it unsafe to turn on/off. My husband and I tried to turn on the gas valve tonight and it is EXTEMELY hard to turn with a screwdriver. So I feel like something isn’t right. Does anyone know where I can find this type of key? Or was the chimney guy incorrect and this is just part of the valve that needs other pieces/adaptors? Also the floor plate to me looks weird because it has a circular hole. All the ones I’ve seen online have a square hole. I also find it strange that every single fireplace gas valve key I’ve seen online is the same. Why is my house different? Name:  IMG_4344.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  52.1 KBName:  IMG_4352.jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  44.3 KB

Post Likes
    We have installed many a wall valve (like that) - in fact, these were required in the 90's by many building officials we worked with.
    Look up Dante products - gas key. You should be able to find what you need.

Post Likes
    Let's hope he found it after one year !

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in