Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 56
  1. #27
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    25,356
    Post Likes
    Used to have an employer that would like to send a parts runner to pick things up. It took a lot of convincing to slow that down. I had to cite example after example of how much labor I was charging him that could not be billed to the customer.


    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    To me it makes sense for there to be less young people at supply houses because why send a younger inexperienced person for parts etc unless it is on will call?
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

    I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

    Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

  2. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    5,389
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Or the old guy who refuses to put his reading glasses on. A hole couldn't see my will call order even though it was right there on the screen. Had that happen to me a few weeks ago.
    There are two people serving the counter at Johnstone one is 20 years old and one is 55 and you are seeking information to match a part etc. Which one do you go to?
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

  3. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    5,389
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Used to have an employer that would like to send a parts runner to pick things up. It took a lot of convincing to slow that down. I had to cite example after example of how much labor I was charging him that could not be billed to the customer.

    Flat rate that doesn't matter with T&M the way I handled that was to tell them we are sending a runner to pickup and deliver for no extra charge and I would be preparing the unit for installation by pulling the motor etc or going over the unit etc.
    Are you saying you didn't charge while waiting on site for part where you could usually make use of that time but would charge to pick up the part?
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

  4. #30
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    25,356
    Post Likes
    For service calls, scheduling a parts runner was pretty much out of the question. For quoted services or repairs, the owner would like to have a parts runner get stuff, and it would often be the wrong stuff. So ultimately, the company did not save any money by having a low paid parts runner running around.


    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Flat rate that doesn't matter with T&M the way I handled that was to tell them we are sending a runner to pickup and deliver for no extra charge and I would be preparing the unit for installation by pulling the motor etc or going over the unit etc.
    Are you saying you didn't charge while waiting on site for part where you could usually make use of that time but would charge to pick up the part?
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

    I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

    Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

  5. #31
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    16,473
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    I don't know? Even the older counter guys don't get orders right. I ALWAYS check my order before pulling away from the dock. But I think this push for college is going to make a tradesman very rich in the future.

    The other problem I foresee, is untrained/unlicensed hacks are going to multiply exponentially.

    This could turn into a serious problem in the future
    PANIC
    Rarely works

  6. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,093
    Post Likes
    If I order pipe fittings pretty much every order I have delievered is incorrect. I had just retured some wrong stuff today. I ordered a (2)2inch threaded 4bolt flanges. What got delivered....(2)2"x11" reducing flanges. At least they sent the correct bolt kit and gasket. Try to save time and have it delievered.

    Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

  7. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    26,921
    Post Likes
    Another thing we are badly in need of is farmers. Some years ago the median age of all US farmers was about 60 years old.

    PHM
    ---------



    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Miss Kate posted an article here over 10 years ago:

    Over 50% of the skilled workers in this country are over 50 years of age. Prepare for a huge void in skilled workers within 10 Years.

    That time frame has come and its not going to get better. ALL Trades suffer from the same gap. Locally Unions post for there Apprenticeship programs, these have never been truly open to the public.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  8. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    26,921
    Post Likes
    My son was never afraid of hard work. He weight trained and boxed his way into substantial shape, ran a small landscaping business himself; hand shoveling tons of stone and so forth. He then worked with me for a short time and said: I'm going back for my Masters. He's a VP at Fidelity now, lives in a three story condo (with an elevator in it <g>), and apparently has no interest in doing anything in terms of physical working. He still says: I don't know how the hell you do it. <g>

    I was never a company guy - but sometimes I think his choices were superior to mine.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  9. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    5,389
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Miss Kate posted an article here over 10 years ago:

    Over 50% of the skilled workers in this country are over 50 years of age. Prepare for a huge void in skilled workers within 10 Years.

    That time frame has come and its not going to get better. ALL Trades suffer from the same gap. Locally Unions post for there Apprenticeship programs, these have never been truly open to the public.
    The average age for all US workers is app 42 which has been increasing some through recent years. The average age of an HVAC worker is app 46. So experienced HVAC workers would of course be slightly higher.
    How many of us have bad backs, knees and hips etc and would encourage their children to do the same work? I brought my son on several tougher jobs when he was young to show him what this work was like. It was meant to encourage him in school which it did.


    Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey

    https://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat18b.htm
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

  10. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,496
    Post Likes
    With more and more tech companies offering remote work opportunities and the huge wage disparity between the skilled trades and the tech sector, there is not much incentive for young guys to get started learning the trades when they can simply take some online classes and become a halfway decent tech industry worker.

    This is my position currently and it is frustrating because I can do my current tech job, sitting on my rear all day making 100k without even trying, but being depressed because I'm doing diddly squat, or I can try and apprentice to an HVAC company to build up my knowledge and get paid way less for a fulfilling job that keeps me happy.

  11. #37
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    16,473
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by rjk_cmh View Post
    With more and more tech companies offering remote work opportunities and the huge wage disparity between the skilled trades and the tech sector, there is not much incentive for young guys to get started learning the trades when they can simply take some online classes and become a halfway decent tech industry worker.

    This is my position currently and it is frustrating because I can do my current tech job, sitting on my rear all day making 100k without even trying, but being depressed because I'm doing diddly squat, or I can try and apprentice to an HVAC company to build up my knowledge and get paid way less for a fulfilling job that keeps me happy.
    LOL, Im in so much pain right now ( on top of that I have a cold) I'd gladly take a "sit on my ass" job making $30K, let alone make $100K. Im just tired of being in constant pain.

    This is a tough physical job. it requires both brains and strength and the ability to think in three dimentions
    PANIC
    Rarely works

  12. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,093
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    LOL, Im in so much pain right now ( on top of that I have a cold) I'd gladly take a "sit on my ass" job making $30K, let alone make $100K. Im just tired of being in constant pain.

    This is a tough physical job. it requires both brains and strength and the ability to think in three dimentions
    Ibuprofen chiropractor whiskey repeat

    Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

  13. Likes Core_d liked this post
  14. #39
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Rochester, NY, USA
    Posts
    16,473
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitz View Post
    Ibuprofen chiropractor whiskey repeat

    Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
    Advil (Everyday) I hate Chiropractors, Capt'n Morgan....and an El Rey Del Mundo cigar.
    PANIC
    Rarely works

  15. Likes Spitz, BALloyd liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •