+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New 2.5ton hp with furnace

Post Likes

New 2.5ton hp with furnace

Replaced my buddies 2ton ac and 40k propane furnace to a 2.5ton hp with 60k furnace. Only 5 years old. Propane bills thru the roof and the old carrier furnace wouldn’t put out anymore then 100*.

Added new 4” filter and wrapped all the supply ductwork.

Had to widen the stand outside. Used strut to brace it and bolted the pad to the strut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Myself I would have installed drier by AH and ran soft drawn liquid line then through wall to make braze joint existing LL or ran new LL soft drawn to me would have looked a little cleaner plus eliminate three braze joints and two copper elbows. To me the drip leg on the gas pipe is more than adequate. But hey that's me...

As long as the customers happy....

Post Likes
    I like it, looks clean and neat. I also like that you sold your buddy a dual fuel, if he’s saving money then that’s extra beer money. Would’ve been nice to see some before pictures though.

Post Likes
    Everything pretty much lined back up. I had to move the return duct 4” back. Tied gas back in, the old fit right up.

Im in the commercial world so, extra fittings dont bother me. Nitro was purged while brazing.

Lineset stayed and old was 410a.

Post Likes
    Was the old unit condensing or not? If not, the change from 40k standard efficiency BTU to 60k high efficiency BTU is probably gonna be way more than he needs, right? That would be 25k additional output BTUs if the new unit is 95%.

Post Likes
    Old furnace was condesing

Post Likes
    Please tell me you cut the extra length off the bolts that hold the stand to the building other then that nice work

Post Likes
    I really like wall mounting condensers when I can.

Nice clean work. Wish mine looked that good.

I'll keep practicing.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Post Likes
    Looks good. I do have a couple questions.

I understand the need for drainage on the heat pump but if your on a bracket do you need the legs? I don't like brackets but they do have their place. I figure the bracket gives all the space needed for drainage except for some spacers under the unit for drainage from under the unit.

Where does the vent for the drain line go, I assume it is draining something else. I always try to keep an air gap separating everything going into the drain so if one device plugs it doesn't back up into another.

It is a nice looking install, just wondering why people do what they do.

Post Likes
    If the unit sits on the pad, there is no room for water to drain out. Unless, i took the fan off snd drilled holes from the inside of the unit down thru the pad.

So the pump ups let water drain from under the unit.

The “vent” is from the air conditioner in the attic.

My buddy did the stand outside while i did the furnace inside. I don’t think he cut the rod.

Post Likes
    i would the next time you go do a service call i would the excess length would drive me nuts its an appearance thing

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    If the unit sits on the pad, there is no room for water to drain out. Unless, i took the fan off snd drilled holes from the inside of the unit down thru the pad.

So the pump ups let water drain from under the unit.

The “vent” is from the air conditioner in the attic.

My buddy did the stand outside while i did the furnace inside. I don’t think he cut the rod.

I understand this. My point is water won't build up on the pad so you don't need as much space between the pad and unit for drainage, a 3/4" rubber pad should be adequate. It is not like when a pad sits on the ground where snow & ice can build up around it. I have never seen a raised pad like that with over 1/4" of ice on it so why raise it so high?

Post Likes
    Don’t have an answer. I always put them on pumps. Im sure snow could accumulate on the pad. *

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    Don’t have an answer. I always put them on pumps. Im sure snow could accumulate on the pad. *

I always use the 6" pump ups as well. Just a standard I guess.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Post Likes
    I guess that’s why I asked, sometimes we do things out of habit that are not needed and only add cost to the job. Maybe I’m wrong but if a unit is on a bracket you have your drainage height so at that point you just need some clearance between unit and pad for water to get away.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in