Post Likes

Timed fresh air ventilation with Ultraaire - question

Hi,

I have an Ultraaire 155H unit and my control/stat allows me to force x minutes of ventilation per hour.

My question is this.

If I use this feature and the UA fan is going on and off every hour (24 times a day)... does this cause more wear and tear on the UA fan motor? I am assuming that de-humidificaion is not needed during this period (i.e. much of the winter).

Thanks,

George

Post Likes
    Teddy Bear... do you have an opinion? THanks... George

Post Likes
    Of course the cycling the fan will shorten the life of any fan. Bearings wear most at the slow rpms when starting and stopping. Most fresh air inlets with any length when shared with and inside return from the open part of the home bring minimal fresh air. If the home is occupied, I would operate the fresh air when occupied until the home shows low indoor %RH during cold weather. Than stop fresh air until the indoor %RH goes +40%RH.
    I would expect the blow to be able to last +10 years with 24 cycles per day.
    These blowers have delivered excellent service with many approaching 10 years of service. I will investigate further and report back. If you were using the DEH3000 controller, suggest operating when the home is occupied and off when the home is unoccupied.
    Also There is a CO2 controller that removes the need of on/off timer need. Set for 650 PPM CO2 operation. This limits over ventilation and conserves moisture inside the home. During cold weather, the stack effect and wind increases the need for mechanical fresh air.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    I am using the TN200 which Justin sent me. It is a working prototype which was supposed to be a possible replacement for the DEH3000. It is a nice stat but Justin mentioned that they were not likely going to proceed with it due to vendor pricing issues.

It does have a CO2 set point for ventilation that can be set in units of 100. i.e. 600 or 700 or 500. I will set it at 600 and see how it does.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wxperson View Post
    I am using the TN200 which Justin sent me. It is a working prototype which was supposed to be a possible replacement for the DEH3000. It is a nice stat but Justin mentioned that they were not likely going to proceed with it due to vendor pricing issues.

It does have a CO2 set point for ventilation that can be set in units of 100. i.e. 600 or 700 or 500. I will set it at 600 and see how it does.
    Good idea. The idea is that on a windy day, you will get enough fresh air change from the wind, that CO2 from on occupant is not raise the indoor CO2 levels above 600 ppm and no mechanical fresh air is needed.
    Keep us posted on the results.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"