Post Likes

Should I replace my thermostat with a Nest E

I live in a 70 year old brick house in Georgia. About a month ago my compressor grounded and when the tech came out he said they could just replace the compressor but it was a bad idea to do so because my system was almost 20 years old. I ended up getting a whole new system. My old 4 ton Carrier system was replaced with a Payne system.Here are the model numbers:

Payne Box Coil Model # CNPVT4821ALA

Payne Condenser Model # : PA14NCO4800G

I also ended up replacing my furnace because I got a package deal for buying all the parts together and the way my system was configured if I replaced just the furnace in the future it would be expensive because they would basically have to pull out the entire inside system. I don't know what furnace model I have but it is also a Payne.

I like my system so far and haven't had any problems with it. I was recently gifted a Nest E thermostat for free. It is compatible with my system and my current thermostat is a Honeywell TH6210U2001 - Is the Nest better than what I have?

Should I replace my current thermostat with the Nest E? Are there any benefits or drawbacks of doing so? I would greatly appreciate any help. I called my HVAC tech and they said they could come out and install it if I wanted but didn't explain to me if I should or shouldn't. I spent countless hours reading this forum before getting my new system installed and I know there are many experts on this forum.

Thank you,
    alert

Post Likes
    The only thing good about a FREE NEST is it didnt cost you a dime.

Now throw it out!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    The only thing good about a FREE NEST is it didnt cost you a dime.

Now throw it out!
    The only benefit I could really see if the WiFi and I don't really care about that. I just figured that since the Nest is more expensive maybe it is a better unit although obviously I don't know much at all about this stuff. Going from your comment is sounds like just because it is more expensive it isn't the better unit. Thank you I will give this some more thought but I will certainly take your advice under consideration.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by alert View Post
    The only benefit I could really see if the WiFi and I don't really care about that. I just figured that since the Nest is more expensive maybe it is a better unit although obviously I don't know much at all about this stuff. Going from your comment is sounds like just because it is more expensive it isn't the better unit. Thank you I will give this some more thought but I will certainly take your advice under consideration.
    Nest is better at leaving you without heat than all of its competitors.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

5. Likes BALloyd liked this post
    Post Likes
    There’s a reason they are free.
    Made a lot of money dealing with nest issues.
    They are great for skeet targets.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    Considering I haven't seen a single positive response I think my mind is made up on the issue. Thanks everyone.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by alert View Post
    Considering I haven't seen a single positive response I think my mind is made up on the issue. Thanks everyone.
    Jokes aside (which the Nest has become within the industry), it’s not a good device.
    Issues with them-

Google owns nest. They bought them for a huge sum, not to corner the hvac market but more to use nest as a consumer information gatherer. It’ll track things like setpoint temperature, when you come and go, and such and sends that information back to Google.

Bizarre issues like runaway furnaces and air conditioning. Many have reported they’ve woken up to an 85* house in the winter because the nest is keeping the furnace running constantly.

Horrible technical support by people that work for Google instead of in the hvac industry.

Poor features for the price if you buy one.

A big flashy advertising budget to push sales in big box stores even though Honeywell and Ecobee have superior features and products.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    IMO, it's hard to beat this wifi stat Honeywell Model RTH9585WF, I have one and I love it. Now if you need a stat to turn the dishwasher on, or open the garage door, or call your wife and tell her you're going to be late, you might need the nest. The one I have may be discontinued by now, but you can probably find their next version on the Honeywell site. https://www.honeywellstore.com/store...9585wf1004.htm
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". -Vernon Law-

"Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap, Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled" - Unknown

Post Likes
    I am with everyone else. Honeywell over Nest any day.