Post Likes

Hobart LX30H Shows Wrench and Error Code E3

Hello everyone. I'm a new member here.

I just installed a used Hobart LX30H dishwasher. At first it operated normally for several wash cycles. What I mean by "normally" is, when I pressed "ON", the unit displayed "FILL", first solid then flashing, with a temperature that gradually rose to about 160F, when "FILL" disappeared I pressed "WASH", it displayed "WASH" with a temperature of around 160F then it displayed "RINSE" with a temperature of around 183F, then it was done. When I pressed "OFF" it displayed "Pd" and drained, then shut off and the display goes dark. That seems like normal operation, right?

Then it started giving me error codes.

The first error code was "E5". This only appeared once. My understanding is this indicates the machine is not draining. The drain hose does not appear to be kinked and the unit was draining. But anyway, this code only appeared once so I'm not too worried.

The second error code, and this is the showstopper because it is appearing all the time, is "wrench" and "E3".

What happens is, when I press "ON", the unit first displays "Pd" and drains, then fills while displaying solid "FILL" with a temperature that rises to about 160F, then it displays "wrench" and "E3" and all activity stops. It never gets to flashing "FILL" and pressing "WASH" does nothing. When I open the door, the unit is full of hot water, to slightly above the two water level probe tips at the right rear of the chamber. When I press "OFF", instead of displaying "Pd" and draining, the unit shuts off with the display going dark and the chamber still full of water. To get it to drain, I have to press "ON" and let it go through "Pd" then press "OFF" before it starts filling.

This is what I've done:
    - Cleaned the two probe tips at the rear of the chamber
    - Cleaned the probe tips in the sump, under the fine screen
    - Cleaned the inside of the chamber and the sump very well
    - Repeatedly tried pressing "ON", letting it go through the process above, but it always ends at "wrench" and "E3".
    - Checked the supply line doesn't appear to be kinked
    - Checked the hot water supply valve is open all the way
    - Watched the water pressure gauge - the needle moves around a lot, sometimes in the green zone, sometimes slightly below the green zone, and sometimes way above the green zone. I haven't figured out the pattern of when the needle is where.

Now, one thing I have to tell you is that this LX30H is installed in my house. Yes, I'm just a homeowner. It has the proper electrical service (240v 50A four-wire) but is otherwise hooked up under my kitchen counter basically like a residential dishwasher. The supply hose is attached to my kitchen sink's hot water supply valve via an adapter 3/8" NPT to 3/4" GHT. The drain hose loops up to the underside of the counter, then comes down a bit and attaches to my garbage disposal's dishwasher drain inlet. I don't think any of that should be a problem - other than making checking stuff at the rear of the machine more of a hassle - but I wanted to mention it.

Can you suggest anything I should check?

I am not sure that calling a Hobart tech is really an option, because I don't know if they will service a unit that is in a residential location. I kind of think this is going be DIY or bust :-)

Oh, I don't know the unit's history. I bought it from a friend's bar when he had to close - that was a really sad day. This wasn't the glasswasher he was using, but rather a spare unit he had in the basement. I looked the unit over before I installed it. It seemed complete. All the twisted red/black wires to the probes seemed present and accounted for. The braided supply hose was kind of flattened in places, but I squeezed it back to roundness. The drain hose had been cut off just after the chassis, so I used a 90-deg barbed fitting and some 5/8" automotive heater hose to extend it. The plug had been cut off, so I installed the proper 14-50P plug. The unit does not appear to have any detergent pump and there is no detergent line running to the white plastic fitting at the back of the unit, that's something I had planned to work on later while simply hand-adding commercial detergent for now.

Anyway, I hope you guys can help me out even though I'm just a DIY homeowner. Thank you.

Post Likes
    Some more information. I went through the "ON" to "E3" process a few more times, and observed that the needle in the pressure gauge is at the high end of the scale for most of the "FILL" period, then drops to the green range for a bit, then pops up to the high end of the scale and right then is when the "WRENCH" and "E3" codes appear.

I will check my house water pressure and install a pressure reducer ahead of this unit if it turns out my water pressure is above the specified 15-25 psi range. But, would too-high pressure cause this error code?

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    I maintain numerous LX-series (not LXe) dishwashers. The ONE part we have to replace often (once a year in each machine) is that dual water probe in the rear. I think that their ability to accurately sense water becomes skewed over time due to limescale and harsh detergents.

We'll see error codes regarding water level and give that probe set a good cleaning first. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it don't. If not, then replace the probe assembly.

The part number is 00-329274.

By the way...
    Only buy the probe directly from Hobart. Hobart doesn't discount their prices for competing parts vendors. Subsequently, they (the vendors that AREN'T Hobart) will charge you more for the probe than Hobart will in order to make a profit. You'll find other parts vendors mark their price up 2-3 times what Hobart charges.

https://thesmartpartsestore.hobartse...rtby=BESTMATCH
    ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

Post Likes
    Thank you! I'm going to order a new dual water probe and install it.

In the meantime, I really scrubbed the probe tips with a green Scotchbrite and installed a pressure reducer inline with the supply hose, and magically the error code went away - for now at least. I'm sure it will come back right before Thanksgiving or some other least convenient time, so a new probe is still going in! I think I will delime the unit as well.

I have another question. Is there any source for
    1) the diagram that is inside the control drawer? I figured out how to open the drawer, but that diagram is disintegrated.
    2) documentation about how to program the LX30H, read the board LEDs, etc? I assume there is a service manual somewhere but I have not found it.

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jyl View Post
    I have another question. Is there any source for
    1) the diagram that is inside the control drawer? I figured out how to open the drawer, but that diagram is disintegrated.
    2) documentation about how to program the LX30H, read the board LEDs, etc? I assume there is a service manual somewhere but I have not found it.
    Answer is no to both. Hobart doesn't make service documentation available to anyone except their people.

Here's the link to Hobart's resource center:
    https://resources.itwfeg.com/sites/r...20Product.aspx
    ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

Post Likes
    Thank you very much. I really appreciate your help. I know I'm just a homeowner, and it is really nice that professionals like you are willing to answer my questions.