Post Likes

Attic Ventilation Issues

Hello All,
    I have dampness problems in my attic. Just had a brad new roof and sheeting put on my 1210sf house. There was a leak when I bought the house and some mild mold abatement that needed to be done, I attributed the mold to come from the fact that roof had a leak and the previous owner was venting the bathroom fan into the attic and insulation was blocking soffit vents. Immediately vented fan through roof and pulled back insulation and put a tarp over leaky roof. Still had moisture buildup so this summer I put a new roof and sheeting on thinking that would certainly fix the problem. Here the first of the rain has come and I still have dampness in the attic. So I'm convinced it has to do with ventilation. Here I have attached a drawing of the ventilation in the house. Desperate to get this figured out and appreciate any advice. My guess is there is "too much" ventilation so it is creating stagnant air with no current?
    thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    You have too many vent types to me. I would eliminate the gable and vented screen so you only have the soffit and ridge vents. your ventilation should travel from soffit to ridge. I think you have short circuited the air so it is coming in the gable and other vents and going right out the ridge before replacing any attic air.

Post Likes
    Thanks BNM that is what I was thinking too. That is the way the previous owner had it. Hopefully it will still dry out being the fall heading into winter.

Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    You have too many vent types to me. I would eliminate the gable and vented screen so you only have the soffit and ridge vents. your ventilation should travel from soffit to ridge. I think you have short circuited the air so it is coming in the gable and other vents and going right out the ridge before replacing any attic air.

Post Likes
    Hips and valleys, many roofers put shingles down over poorly installed shingles...
    Have a roof expert look over all the valley joints, and any flashings.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit