Post Likes

R12 possibly found in a refrigeration unit

Acquired an old walk-in cooler and accompanying refrigeration unit a few years ago. While cleaning up, I noticed it had R12 on the id tag. Knowing that R12 is expensive......

1. How to tell if it is really R12? Pressure and temperature chart? http://www.refrigerants.com/pics/ptchart.pdf

2. What if its off just a bit from the chart? Was it mixed with something else?

3. How to tell how much is in the tank? I know with propane tanks, you can see a frost line while using them.

4. Recover and reuse. Whats makes this different from automobile R12? What services do you professionals use to recapture and reuse possible mixed refrigerants? Or do you even tell the company you use to return recovered refrigerants?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Likes
    Is it short?

If it’s 12 and short then recover, recycle it. Convert to an alternative!

Post Likes
    If it’s a semi, change the oil and use R-134A

Post Likes
    Not sure what you mean by short. The compressor is going in the recycle. Not going back into service.
    My reading:
    59 Fahrenheit, 15. Celsius, and actual 74.1 psig

Pressure/Temperature chart
    55 Fahrenheit, 12.8 Celsius, should be 52.0 psig
    60 Fahrenheit, 15.6 Celsius, should be 57.7 psig

Post Likes
    EPA does not allow reusing recovered refrigerant ESPECIALLY in mobile use... unless ot is recycled and brought to ari700 spec I think... not sure, but I know it isnt allowed.

There are recovery machines that have a filter and separation circuit some auto garages use...

Call around.

The refrigerant is the same.
    R12 is R12.

R12a is NOT R12...
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    Acquired an old walk-in cooler and accompanying refrigeration unit a few years ago. While cleaning up, I noticed it had R12 on the id tag. Knowing that R12 is expensive......

1. How to tell if it is really R12? Pressure and temperature chart? http://www.refrigerants.com/pics/ptchart.pdf

yes, after the refrigerant has been recovered and the temperature of the refrigerant / cylinder has stabilized

2. What if its off just a bit from the chart? Was it mixed with something else?

then it is obviously a mixed refrigerant or an alternative, it should be very easy to tell with R12 using a P/T chart

3. How to tell how much is in the tank? I know with propane tanks, you can see a frost line while using them.

you cant, recover the refrigerant and weigh the recovery cylinder before and after

4. Recover and reuse. Whats makes this different from automobile R12? What services do you professionals use to recapture and reuse possible mixed refrigerants? Or do you even tell the company you use to return recovered refrigerants?

R12 is R12, United has inexpensive one shot recovery cylinders that you fill and return, you may have to pay to have the refrigerant destroyed if the refrigerant is mixed or unkown, but it is not that expensive, YES, explain you are unsure of refrigerant

after I accumulate large amounts of certain refrigerants I use these people

https://www.raprec.com/?cn-reloaded=1
    Last edited by hvacskills; 11-11-2018 at 02:00 PM.