Post Likes

Honeywell Sypder AO configuration

I'm an application engineer and working with Honeywell Spyders for the first time. I'm being told by one of my techs that the AOs are not individually configurable, that if you need to use a 4-20mA output, then all of the AOs must now be 4-20mA outputs. But the literature clearly states that the AOs are able to be configured individually as either voltage or mA. Can anyone here tell me which is true? It strikes me as odd that all of the literature would be wrong.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MichelleK View Post
    I'm an application engineer and working with Honeywell Spyders for the first time. I'm being told by one of my techs that the AOs are not individually configurable, that if you need to use a 4-20mA output, then all of the AOs must now be 4-20mA outputs. But the literature clearly states that the AOs are able to be configured individually as either voltage or mA. Can anyone here tell me which is true? It strikes me as odd that all of the literature would be wrong.

Thanks,
    Michelle
    Each of the AO's can be individually set to either voltage or milliamps

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MichelleK View Post

Thanks,
    Michelle
    I think that was the case with previous versions of the spyder tool. While in engineering mode, if you changed one of the AOs from volts to mA, all other AOs would also switch. I just did a quick test here in N4 and I'm able to change them individually. So I assume this was a new feature added at some point.

4. Likes bolt950rider liked this post
    Post Likes
    So I actually had a customer ask this same question earlier this week. Although all the documentation states that they can be set individually, I contacted Web Squad just to verify and they told me that indeed, all the outputs need to be either mA or V. I know if N4 you can set them differently through the spyder tool but my guess is that it may not actually work when used on a real spyder. And if you really needed both mA and V outputs, you could set them all to mA and then use a 500ohm resistor to get an effective 2-10v signal.

Not sure why Honeywell put out literature that contradicts their own support people though.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekClark View Post
    So I actually had a customer ask this same question earlier this week. Although all the documentation states that they can be set individually, I contacted Web Squad just to verify and they told me that indeed, all the outputs need to be either mA or V. I know if N4 you can set them differently through the spyder tool but my guess is that it may not actually work when used on a real spyder. And if you really needed both mA and V outputs, you could set them all to mA and then use a 500ohm resistor to get an effective 2-10v signal.

Not sure why Honeywell put out literature that contradicts their own support people though.
    Yes, that's what the tech told me, that they use the resistors. But it's challenging if I'm engineering a project that has existing devices or manufacturer provided devices, I really wouldn't want to tell the installers to use resistors just in case...but I suppose that's exactly what I'll need to do if I can't verify the unknown devices.

Thanks for your help!
    Michelle