Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Choosing a combustion analyzer

Well, Iíve been talking to my boss for a while and Iíve finally convinced him that we need to buy a combustion analyzer. He said to do some research and find one to buy. Iíve been doing some reading and am leaning towards the Bacharach Fyrite insight and the Testo 320. Anyone here have recommendations for either one or problems with either one? Thanks for your help.

Post Likes
    The Bacharach Intech is all you will need for residential service. We have 4 of them. It has field replaceable sensors and there is a reporting app that provides a digital report that can be sent from your phone. No printer is required.
    The Insight is more expensive but you probably won't need all those features.

I have not used the Testo but I remember some threads on here discussing some flaws in one of the Testo models. IIRC, the newest ones had eliminated the issues.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    I have the 320. Its pretty good. You can set up the display for the parameters you'd like to see first.
    The Bacharach I think you can install new sensors yourself which sounds like a great feature to me.
    Not sure if it comes with a magnet tho. Definitely want that.
    I also have a testo 310 which i usually use on small resi type furnaces. Dont know why i do that tho.
    The 320 case is huge. Both Testos have printers.
    This is a bit lame, but i like the Testo color! Orange and black. Kind of Browns colors. Go Browns!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Must have been typing the same time Kdean 1was. Ignore my bacharach information and use his.

4. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    If you had to convince your boss for an extended period of time that you needed a combustion analyzer, you need a new boss.

I have the Insight Plus. I use the printer so I can attach a copy of the combustion report to the service tag to leave on sight.
    I don't use the app but rolled my own to scan the QR code and put it into my database.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    I don't use the app but rolled my own to scan the QR code and put it into my database.
    I'm impressed! How did you learn to program apps. I'd love to learn how to do that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icy78 View Post
    I have the 320. Its pretty good. You can set up the display for the parameters you'd like to see first.
    The Bacharach I think you can install new sensors yourself which sounds like a great feature to me.
    Not sure if it comes with a magnet tho. Definitely want that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Must have been typing the same time Kdean 1was. Ignore my bacharach information and use his.
    The Intech case has a magnet so it can be held on the furnace case.
    The field replaceable sensors are a great feature. The O2 sensor needs to be replaced about every 2 years. It is the nature of the sensor as it is exposed to oxygen as soon as it is installed. I order sensors from TruTechTools and receive them via UPS in two days.

KangarooGod has a lot of experience with analyzer maintenance. Let's hope he posts his accumulated wisdom.

Post Likes

Choosing a combustion analyzer

I Personally own the Testo 310 from my residential days. Itís great for such applications. I had my current company (commercial only) purchase a couple of the Bacharachís. The insight I believe. I actually prefer them to the Testo for multiple reasons (at least the 310). The fact that you can field change service it is a great feature. Another, overlooked feature in comparison is that you can disconnect the hoses from the meter when storing it. This will help ensure you get the moisture out and avoid the issues that come from this when itís on your truck in cold temperatures.

Whichever you choose Iíd personally recommend hoses that disconnect, field serviceable and must have a NOX sensor for accurate CO readings and also a temperature compensation feature built in. Just my two cents anyway... oh, and it must have a printer for me.

Has anyone used the Accutools Blue flame yet?

P.S.

Iím looking to upgrade also. My Testo 310 (includes printer) is in great condition and Iíd be willing to discuss selling it if youíre interested. Send me a PM if so.
    Regards,
    Ron

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    I'm impressed! How did you learn to program apps. I'd love to learn how to do that.
    Don't be impressed. If I could really program (and make the same amount of money), I'd be out of this business.
    I use FileMaker (database program) for my business to track all my customers, their equipment, etc.
    Filemaker can be put on your iPhone. The part that makes this work is on the Insight, you can scroll left/right to see different screens during a comb analysis. One of the screens is a QR code of the analysis.
    In FileMaker db, I scan the code by taking a pic with my phone, and you get a string of numbers representing all your measurements. It's just a matter of parsing out the values and dropping them into the fields.
    It's fun for me. My next addition will be to put a bar code on the unit itself, so I can just scan the unit, and the whole service/combustion history pops up on the phone (or iPad), rather than search for the customer.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like Iím going to push for the Bacharach. Iím thinking the insight plus for the draft function. Hopefully weíll pick one up soon and I can start learning how to use it 😁

Post Likes
    I recommend Bacharach. The Intech is all you really need. The draft tester on most analyzers is useless because draft needs to be measured simultaneously with combustion. Plus they are not visual enough is determining combustion air issues, flues sizing issues or negative pressure issues.

The Insight Plus "Tune Rite" can do generalized diagnostics. But because the diagnostics are based on NCI training, you would already know what the readings meant and then some.

Not sure I would recommend someone that is new on the block (BluFlame). Bad name to begin with! If someone had real field experience they would not just keep jumping from one tester to another unless they don't care as long as they make a sale.
    captain CO

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    I recommend Bacharach. The Intech is all you really need. The draft tester on most analyzers is useless because draft needs to be measured simultaneously with combustion. Plus they are not visual enough is determining combustion air issues, flues sizing issues or negative pressure issues.

The Insight Plus "Tune Rite" can do generalized diagnostics. But because the diagnostics are based on NCI training, you would already know what the readings meant and then some.

Not sure I would recommend someone that is new on the block (BluFlame). Bad name to begin with! If someone had real field experience they would not just keep jumping from one tester to another unless they don't care as long as they make a sale.
    Hey Jim! You still teaching at NCI? I need to renew my certification.

Yes, I do recall the blue flame burners and issues with them. Thatís actually the first thing I thought of when I heard the name. Still, features wise it seems like a decent analyzer. Curious of anybodyís hands on experience with it. Otherwise, the bad blood between the two of you, well... Iíll stay out of that. Not my place.
    Regards,
    Ron

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    Don't be impressed. If I could really program (and make the same amount of money), I'd be out of this business.
    I use FileMaker (database program) for my business to track all my customers, their equipment, etc.
    Filemaker can be put on your iPhone. The part that makes this work is on the Insight, you can scroll left/right to see different screens during a comb analysis. One of the screens is a QR code of the analysis.
    In FileMaker db, I scan the code by taking a pic with my phone, and you get a string of numbers representing all your measurements. It's just a matter of parsing out the values and dropping them into the fields.
    It's fun for me. My next addition will be to put a bar code on the unit itself, so I can just scan the unit, and the whole service/combustion history pops up on the phone (or iPad), rather than search for the customer.
    I’m impressed anyway. Is that an app you would be willing to share? Please?

Even if you cannot, now that I know about FileMaker, I have downloaded it to play with to see if I can learn something new.

Post Likes
    Regarding the reporting app for the Intech, it does not work with IOS 12. I called Bacharach tech support on Friday and learned that they expect to have the app upgraded by January. Until then it’s back to writing things down the old fashion way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast