Post Likes

Follow up on new ice machines with "odd noise" from compressor

Its been a roller-coaster of a summer for us and we are finally winding down a bit before winter really gets here.

I am creating this post as a discussion/follow up to my previous thread, "Manitowoc traditional remote odd harmonic noise"

Since this post, I have installed 3 additional machines of the exact same capacity that use the exact same Bristol compressor. 2 of these machines were Mani. the other was an ice o matic. 2 of these new machines were infact self contained air cooled and the 3rd water cooled.
    Man, I really wish I could have recorded the noise these machines make and link it in here but I did not.
    Anyhow, what I have concluded....the noise is caused by something inside the compressor which is creating an odd harmonic resonance in the discharge line...hence creating the loud high pitched noise.
    Now...it seems to only bother certain customers. most don't care. 2 customers did. It doesn't really bother me that much but hey, we get paid to fix things right? LOL
    All 3 (including the 4th remoted machine in my other post) make this SAME EXACT noise within the first 5 mins into freeze and then it seems to go away. No matter if the machine is remoted or self contained. The Manitowoc machines, both Indigo machines within 2 years old, same capacity 1000lb, same Bristol compressor, SAME noise.
    The Ice O Matic, a new elevation series, same size 1000lb machine, same Bristol compressor, water cooled, SAME noise.

Just thought I'd share that with you guys. Its definitely something in the compressor or valving that is causing this issue to happen. I have not come up with any sort of solution. But like I said, its not unbearable by any means except for the remoted machine. It at times sounds like a tornado siren is going off.
    Hope you guys are having a good year so far. any comments/discussion is appreciated. (lets talk about the "elevation IOM machines" another time LOL)

Post Likes
    A couple or few years ago Mani had compressors on 600's I think S series that were short on oil from factory and spun bearings.

3. Likes UmmScott liked this post
    Post Likes
    Well there won't be to many more Bristol compressor issues on the way.
    So if the same was on iom these are 404 pumps? I was getting weird noises on the 410 Bristol pumps.
    Sounds like this.

https://youtu.be/0cVlTeIATBs

5. Likes UmmScott liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by IceDoctorII View Post
    A couple or few years ago Mani had compressors on 600's I think S series that were short on oil from factory and spun bearings.
    That might have been B
    Sound like they could shake off the bin.

7. Likes UmmScott liked this post