Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    houses were just offered to me.
    Bet nobody offered you a copy of "legends of the trade" autographed by the guru.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    It wasn't printed yet.

Where is The Hizzy anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    Bet nobody offered you a copy of "legends of the trade" autographed by the guru.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    It wasn't printed yet.

Where is The Hizzy anyway?

This guy gets it, it will be printed shortly!!
    HVAC Magician @ UA Local 638

Post Likes
    Do you know where The Hizzy is?

I keep thinkin' this guy is Corny's neighbor. 'cause, Corny lives in The Hizzy, right?

Quote Originally Posted by psehunter View Post
    This guy gets it, it will be printed shortly!!
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

Post Likes
    Do you know where The Hizzy is?

I keep thinkin' this guy is Corny's neighbor. 'cause, Corny lives in The Hizzy, right?
    He doesn't know which way is up!!!

Great news, just received word some cash hit my paypal for this first time in many many moons.. https://www.screencast.com/t/I5VydDLTZzCi
    HVAC Magician @ UA Local 638

Post Likes
    Yeah, the person who you refer to as HE, doesn't receive The monthly checks for doing nothing like I do. And has never received title to property he didn't pay for.

Maybe he's a Canadian?

Quote Originally Posted by psehunter View Post
    He doesn't know which way is up!!!

Great news, just received word some cash hit my paypal for this first time in many many moons.. https://www.screencast.com/t/I5VydDLTZzCi

Post Likes
    doesn't receive The monthly checks for doing nothing like I do. And has never received title to property he didn't pay for.

Maybe he's a Canadian?
    You mean the mental checks? and contrary to what you think the asylum is not your property!
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    That wasn't me who visited you in the asylum.

Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    You mean the mental checks? and contrary to what you think the asylum is not your property!

Post Likes
    Congratulations, it sounds as though you truly applied yourself to your education and making sure all proper credentials are in order, and I mean that sincerely. Now, the one thing missing there is the experience and a little humbling. I'm sorry to correct you, but no, you did not learn how to be a service tech. You received the foundation and a few of the tools that will allow you the opportunity to learn. Being a service tech is learned when you step out of the classroom. You should feel privileged that you are being offered an installer position because educated or not most start as a helper. Helper is actually a much better place to start because either way you're on your proving ground but at least as a helper mistakes are a given and usually won't cost you your job. Take what you learned and apply it while installing, pay attention to what separates a good system from a bad one and from one where the boss just said make it work. If you'll humble yourself and still apply that same hunger and drive, I'm confident you will be running service calls far sooner than most in your position. I started as a helper and I killed myself learning everything I could. I would volunteer to ride after hours, I cleaned the shop and worked hard. I was installing as a lead within 6 months. A set of really screwed up circumstances put me in a service van one day and I just refused to come back out. Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    We had a similar education path in the profession. I went to a hands on trade school for 1.5 years also, 7 hours per day. Did not have EPA certification back then. I graduated in 1977 and took pretty much the first job I could find in the general area. First company I worked for had 4 employees with very minimal benefit package and was paid $3.25 hour which is around $13.50 in 2018 in a high cost New England state. I used the GI Bill to pay for most of the school cost and worked a part time job while in school to have some spending money and pay the school what the GI Bill did not cover. Guessing I was making minimum wage on that job.

I'm guessing you grew up in a family with more money than I came from as you seem somewhat insulted at what companies are offering someone right out of school with no real experience and was not planning on accepting those offers. That's a nice option to have. Unfortunately many people do not have that option. The difference between you and me was I took any job that was available in my general area after graduation and even made even more money with my first job in the profession than the previous four years I made while in the military lol. The military pay, years ago was simply paltry, the benefit package where great thou.

I had something to base that first job pay on. Anything was better than military pay in those days. The school counted for one year for my first trade license and needed one year in the profession for a total of two years to apply for a basic entry level limited journeyman license.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 11-13-2018 at 10:09 PM.

Post Likes
    I started as a preventative maintenance tech at a refrigeration company, 1 year later I took epa and moved to service. Work your ass off ask questions and make the guys you work with tell the higher ups they need you and you are worth their time. I started at $10 hr 5 years ago and now have great pay and benefits. Show them they need you and they will reward you

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSloZ View Post
    I started as a preventative maintenance tech at a refrigeration company, 1 year later I took epa and moved to service. Work your ass off ask questions and make the guys you work with tell the higher ups they need you and you are worth their time. I started at $10 hr 5 years ago and now have great pay and benefits. Show them they need you and they will reward you
    Reminds me of a coworker at the last job I worked at. He started on the Bottom Rung of the ladder doing filter changes and clearing drains. 5 years later he was making $35 an hour. Not bad for a kid who never even went to trade school and had no training whatsoever in the trade.

Post Likes
    It is really hard to land in a job nowadays, most company demand for experiences. You just got to keep trying, until you get the job that you want.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789