Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast
    Post Likes

Can't land a job, could use some advice

So I'm a recent graduate of a HVAC/R trade school. This was a year and a half course that was Monday through Friday 7:30 to 3:00. It was about 1750 course hours in total. Through this course I have attained: EPA 608 Universal, OSHA 10, NATE ICE in residential (passed all five sections), NATE ICE Light commercial (scored 90/100), NATE ICE commercial refrigeration (scored 91/100), factory certification fron Follett Ice, Hill Phoenix and Danfoss. I have a very, very strong grasp of the fundamentals, as well as having great troubleshooting skills. I have no documented field experience, and everyone that does want to hire me here in SWFL wants to pay me 12-14 dollars an hour which is something I simply will not do. Any advice? I should also add: I'm 24 years old, have all my own tools except torches and recovery equipment, have no criminal history whatsoever and I have only had one ticket in my 6 years of driving. Ran a stop sign 5 years ago.

Post Likes
    Take the 14 per hr. job and prove yourself irreplaceable.

3. Likes Frostmonkey74, lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    I have thought about this. The thing that holds me back from doing so, is the job positions offered to me currently. Which are install spots. I have no problem doing installs, but I learned how to be a service technician. It is in my belief that both the employer and I would benefit from me running refrigeration service. My brother went to the same school, and out the gate got a job at Source Refrigeration at 23$ an hour. We have the same certs, and dedication to the trade. Unfortunately they are no longer hiring.

Post Likes
    Everyday you don't work is no money earned. That can add up fast if you proceed to hold out. It's the time in the industry that most employers look at. Again everyday equates to experience or no experience. Get your foot in a door. It's not like you'll be signing on for x amount of years.

6. Likes Metalman0880, lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by On The Path View Post
    I have thought about this. The thing that holds me back from doing so, is the job positions offered to me currently. Which are install spots. I have no problem doing installs, but I learned how to be a service technician. It is in my belief that both the employer and I would benefit from me running refrigeration service. My brother went to the same school, and out the gate got a job at Source Refrigeration at 23$ an hour. We have the same certs, and dedication to the trade. Unfortunately they are no longer hiring.
    Are you saying you should be running commercial and industrial refrigeration service calls now? If so don't sell yourself short at 23/hr ask for more.
    Democrats won the midterm election.
    —>Ds won the US House
    —>Ds vote margin bigger than Tea Party’s in 2010
    —>Rs LOST 333 legislative seats
    —>Rs lost 7 governorships
    —>Rs lost key 2020 Midwest states in PA, WI and MI.

Trump emboldens many people. Anti-Semitic Incidents Surged 57 Percent in 2017.

8. Likes lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    What you say makes sense. I have but one more question. Would you sign a non-compete contract? I think the first offer I get at this point that doesn't want me to sign one I will take the job.

Post Likes
    South Florida like Miami and Ft Lauderdale? I would move somewhere else man.
    wHen I diE I hOpe gOd haS mErcy oN my SiNful LifE

Post Likes
    What you say makes sense. I have but one more question. Would you sign a non-compete contract? I think the first offer I get at this point that doesn't want me to sign one I will take the job.
    I have signed them and was paid 1000/yr to sign them. Every one that I have seen and challenged has failed in court. They are usually too broad and unenforceable to be legal.
    —>Ds won the US House

Post Likes
    I am saying that I can be running refrigeration and conmercial HVAC service right now. My brother has a mirror image eduacation and is running supermarket refrigeration calls on rack systems as well as walk in freezers, floral cases, and packaged AC systems over 25 tons. The company set him free to operate individually after two weeks of employment. We both have dedicated much to learning and practicing the trade. Any one ever heard of Andrew Ask? I personally sought him out in person to ask for a copy of his book and discuss his ideas on dehumidification and interstitial condensation.

Post Likes
    I am saying that I can be running refrigeration and conmercial HVAC service right now. My brother has a mirror image eduacation and is running supermarket refrigeration calls on rack systems as well as walk in freezers, floral cases, and packaged AC systems over 25 tons. The company set him free to operate individually after two weeks of employment. We both have dedicated much to learning and practicing the trade. Any one ever heard of Andrew Ask? I personally sought him out in person to ask for a copy of his book and discuss his ideas on dehumidification and interstitial condensation.
    I am not familiar with his work but I have a signed copy of Sean Carroll's book "From Eternity to Here." I discussed with him how the Big Bang was the result of one of many cosmic inflation events resulting from quantum fluctuations of vacuum energy in a cold De Sitter space.
    —>Ds won the US House

14. Likes BALloyd liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    I am not familiar with his work but I have a signed copy of Sean Carroll's book "From Eternity to Here." I discussed how the Big Bang was the result of one of many cosmic inflation events resulting from quantum fluctuations of vacuum energy in a cold De Sitter space.
    I hope you're not denouncing the interrelationship between building science and HVAC/R, as we so commonly arbitrarily demark trade distinctions. Andrew Ask is an IAQ hall of famer, and a renowned building engineer. Please, let's keep engineer jokes aside for a breif moment. Most self proclaimed technicians I encounter are oblivious to the fact that hot and cold are relative terms, and that if you can not express something numerically your knowledge is of an unsatisfactory kind for the most part. So apologies in advance if I seem like a you know what...

Post Likes
    That's great that you're very curious and seek to understand the trade, you'll find many like-minded individuals here; but do not discount for one second the value of experience.

The pay in Florida sucks - count on that. Take your lumps and make something of yourself. If you're not taken down too many notches when you actually start working on real equipment, you can always start your own business and make the big bucks in a matter of years - realistically about 10.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    My advice to you would be to get yourself in the door at a reputable company in your area. As you can see, the starting

pay is not going to be great. Here is what I have noticed.... If you do a good job, show up everyday on time, and don't

complain, you will advance and you will make more money, and most likely fairly quickly.

And starting in install is not a bad thing. There are many things you will learn doing installs that will make you a

better service tech.

Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast