Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Likes
    I'm not an air balancer and I don't play one on TV. What I do know is this kitchen and serving line area were built to the designer's specifications and the systems were balanced on start-up in 1999. Since then, who knows who did what to the exhaust fans and MUA units? I got here in 2011. The guy that introduced me to this kitchen and the other kitchens in the school district was the lead HVAC "technician" and jack-of-all-trades for the maintenance department. When he retired a couple years ago, he had 35 years with this school district. I put quotes around technician for a reason. Before me, the Nutrition Department depended on the Maintenance Department and this "technician" to maintain, service and repair the kitchen equipment. The Director of Nutrition Services told me after I got hired that the reason she created the position was because she could never depend on the maintenance department to take care of the kitchens. It didn't take long for me to understand why she needed a permanent technician to attend to the kitchens. The first thing they gave me, besides a work truck, was a stack of about 50 open work orders going back more than a year. I knew I had my hands full!

As I became familiar with the kitchens and the equipment, I realized that many of the "repairs" that were made to the equipment were made by people who...well, let's just say their heart wasn't in it. This ventilation system is something I have been putting off for years because of what I found when I initially evaluated the system. There were motor starters that had been disabled, with some having no overloads installed, worn out belts, burnt up motors, dry bearings, brittle and cracked wiring and many other disasters waiting to happen. Without any help, it became a bit overwhelming when I realized I was over my head with the system. Everything I know about the system is either from hands-on or reading technical publications, and I still feel overwhelmed. Ignorance won't get you very far in this trade, so I knew I needed some guidance. Coming here, I knew I could find the information I needed to head in the proper direction. I appreciate all the positive feedback and knowledge you all have given. I'll keep you posted when or if things get moved along.
    With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run.

Post Likes
    SandSkark,
    What you are finding is not abnormal. Test equipment for this work is expensive and takes know how. Without that you are shooting in the dark. A certified balancer can tell you what needs done in half a day. From there you can decide what work you can do and what needs done by others. You might try telling your employer that they could very well be wasting a lot of energy with the system operating as it is and that is most probably true. Your biggest problem is not knowing what the systems are doing and no way of finding out. In twenty years of doing balance work I saw many facility guys in your unenviable position. It is good you are trying to fix the problems but all you can do at this point is guess.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    An example of the things that happen iI got a frantic call from an owner whose restaurant was full of smoke and customers were leaving. He said I don't care what you charge as long as you fix it now. When I checked his exhaust fan the belt was so loose it barely turned the fan. I tightened the belt and the fan motor overamped. Turns out a day or two before an electrician replaced the fan motor and not knowing how to adjust the fan sheave he loosened the belt until the belt slipped enough to not overload the motor. The belt wore and as the fan slowed down the entire building filled with smoke. The fix was as simple as adjusting the sheave, turning off the MAU and opening the front doors until the building cleared. Those things happen and don't expect someone to tell you they did anything or what was done. You need the equipment to find those problems.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

We are on a "Man-made Highway to Hell", Our so called "Leaders", Political & Religious, are encouraging The Mushroom like Sheeple to go faster.

(AC-DC Lyrics)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    I agree there should be a air flow check first. Who knows if the make-up is twice that of the exhaust. Also I'm in a lot of commercial kitchens and here in Cleveland I can think of very few that have expensive conditioned. Now the national chain restaurants almost always but not your average owner/operator.
    Here's a Red Lobster. Guess how much that cost versus a sheet metal box with a blower wheel and motor.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

We are on a "Man-made Highway to Hell", Our so called "Leaders", Political & Religious, are encouraging The Mushroom like Sheeple to go faster.

(AC-DC Lyrics)

Post Likes
    I service several Gaylord systems just like that. Most have conditioned mua but some don’t. Maybe money was running out near the end of the project and to save money they nixed the air conditioning?

That’s a pretty tidy kitchen. Did they always have that many range/ovens and combis? Is there more heat being put out than before?

I like to think of those systems more as “cookline cool air blowers” rather than traditional MUA. Something to lessen the crazy heat that some of these places have. I’m not sure if that’s how they were intended but MUA is best positioned behind the line, as discussed earlier.

One place I used to service that had a system like this always complained the make up air was too cold and it was dropping the temp of the food in the window. I told the GM we could build some diverters or turn the stat up or shut the second stage off etc for $$$. OR you could just serve the food faster and I won’t charge you a dime.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SandShark View Post
    I'm not an air balancer and I don't play one on TV. What I do know is this kitchen and serving line area were built to the designer's specifications and the systems were balanced on start-up in 1999. Since then, who knows who did what to the exhaust fans and MUA units? I got here in 2011. The guy that introduced me to this kitchen and the other kitchens in the school district was the lead HVAC "technician" and jack-of-all-trades for the maintenance department. When he retired a couple years ago, he had 35 years with this school district. I put quotes around technician for a reason. Before me, the Nutrition Department depended on the Maintenance Department and this "technician" to maintain, service and repair the kitchen equipment. The Director of Nutrition Services told me after I got hired that the reason she created the position was because she could never depend on the maintenance department to take care of the kitchens. It didn't take long for me to understand why she needed a permanent technician to attend to the kitchens. The first thing they gave me, besides a work truck, was a stack of about 50 open work orders going back more than a year. I knew I had my hands full!

As I became familiar with the kitchens and the equipment, I realized that many of the "repairs" that were made to the equipment were made by people who...well, let's just say their heart wasn't in it. This ventilation system is something I have been putting off for years because of what I found when I initially evaluated the system. There were motor starters that had been disabled, with some having no overloads installed, worn out belts, burnt up motors, dry bearings, brittle and cracked wiring and many other disasters waiting to happen. Without any help, it became a bit overwhelming when I realized I was over my head with the system. Everything I know about the system is either from hands-on or reading technical publications, and I still feel overwhelmed. Ignorance won't get you very far in this trade, so I knew I needed some guidance. Coming here, I knew I could find the information I needed to head in the proper direction. I appreciate all the positive feedback and knowledge you all have given. I'll keep you posted when or if things get moved along.
    Stand Tall Sandshark, ... You are to applauded for wanting to correct all that was done in a "Corrupt Manner" before Your Time.

Perhaps that "Powers that have Authority" over You, will see what Good You are Doing, & increase the Budget for repairs, as well as hiring You some help.

(AC-DC Lyrics)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234