Post Likes

What are the advantages of Bacnet/IP over mstp in regards to a JCI based site?

Hello all, I have just started looking into Bacnet/IP and am curious what, if any, advantages it has for a JCI based site. The controls contractor I work for uses JCI controllers for 99% of the work we do. We use NAE's as the supervisory controllers, and pull all the NAE's back to a central server.

The normal communication methods we use are either Bacnet/Mstp or JCI N2. I am trying to see if there is any real reason to try to start incorporating Bacnet/IP into our normal comm structures.

And I am mainly talking about using Bacnet/IP to communicate with the end devices such as the FECs, VMA's, etc.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if it is a dumb question. I have just been "raised" using only mstp and n2.

Post Likes
    I use JCI controllers but the FX version 99% of the time. Never used the metasys nae or metasys supervisors so not sure if they handle ip the same as FX jaces. I use BASRT routers as much as possible to unload the supervisor from have to handle the token passing. Also like building the network backbone as an IP network. Lets me connect to any controller from anywhere in the building. Makes commissioning and trouble shooting much easier. Also has reduces alot of my network wiring and interference issues.

Post Likes
    One benefit of using MS/TP is that it is slightly more secure than BACnet/IP. The BACnet/IP protocol is designed to make it easy to integrate as is MSTP but you have to get onto the 485 bus which is usually harder than compromising a computer on the network. The protocol is very traffic heavy and will cause a decent amount of traffic on an IP network. NAEs and the ADX/ADS server do not inherently talk BACnet/IP to each other and the protocol they do use to communicate is very secure. The NAEs are very capable of integrating IP devices and could be used if a 485 network was not available. For normal VAV, AHU type situations I don't see the need for an IP controller over a MS/TP controller. Sometimes you are stuck with IP with integrations, but I avoid it if at all possible. For security reasons and for not having to maintain a ton of IP instance numbers. Especially with JCI unless you have insisted on the change more than likely all of your NAEs have the same BACnet/IP instance.

Post Likes
    Only thing I like IP for is when there are 1 or 2 controllers out in different small buildings around that sites main buildings. Why put a router in so then you have to run 24v mstp and Ethernet just for those few devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Thanks for the responses. It seems that there is not a huge reason to push for Bacnet/IP on most of our existing sites, as we mainly do service on existing buildings/campuses, and add maybe 5-20 VMAs or a single chiller at a time. It is easy to just sell them on a new NAE-45 or 55 to handle new equipment that is not near an existing bus. I think it would work well on new buildings, but those are not a normal part of our workload.