Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by raptyr View Post
    Pgh , small question, was the chiller you were having trouble with an air-cooled heat pump ? YLPA ?
    Secondly, I had a call yesterday, leaking O ring, tech had replaced, did a pressure test, ok, vacuum, ok , re-charge and after an hour started leaking again, advised he change the valve , inspect the threads and the seat etc , add Loctite and maybe some teflon tape.
    The air-cooled chiller we're scrapping is a YLAA0090. You want it? Come and get it.

Like I mentioned earlier, the valves are always being replaced now when they do this repair. Don't know if they're using the other measures, but if we end up doing another valve/o-ring replacement, I'll make damn sure they PAINT blue death on those threads.

Post Likes
    I'm with Benny. Sounds like a marginal seal that passes the leak test, starts leaking when it reaches operating temperatures. You know, expansion and contraction. Or rather, unequal expansion and contraction.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    I'm with Benny. Sounds like a marginal seal that passes the leak test, starts leaking when it reaches operating temperatures. You know, expansion and contraction. Or rather, unequal expansion and contraction.

On all three of my chillers?

That's why I posted this here. The odds that ALL of my chillers are experiencing this problem and NONE of anyone else's chillers are seems....odd.

Post Likes
    Remove the shell & tubes and put Plate HX on with EEV's, thats how they build them now.

Post Likes
    I personally hate that blue crap! Ive seen it crack over time and leak again. The threads are a machine thread and aren't supposed to seal at all. The Loctite 515 I mentioned seals very well and stays pliable to help deal with expansion/contraction due to temp swings. It doesn't deteriorate o-rings and will come apart much easier if it ever needs to be pulled again.
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pgh HVAC Teache View Post
    On all three of my chillers?

That's why I posted this here. The odds that ALL of my chillers are experiencing this problem and NONE of anyone else's chillers are seems....odd.
    First, the comment was about the one stated chiller where the repair passed a leak test, but then leaked when placed in operation.

Second, it wouldn't be the first time where a production error, or design deficiency, impacted a small number of units before it was caught. Then the manufacturer rolls the dice, or declares a "fix on fail" policy.

7. Likes BennyD liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    First, the comment was about the one stated chiller where the repair passed a leak test, but then leaked when placed in operation.

Second, it wouldn't be the first time where a production error, or design deficiency, impacted a small number of units before it was caught. Then the manufacturer rolls the dice, or declares a "fix on fail" policy.
    That's what I'm afraid of...

Post Likes
    Had a few valves on the condenser leak at start up. Same valve , part number as the ones you have leaking only part of the oil return system, the discharge isolation valve to the oil tank. Pulled the charge and changed the whole valve and both o-rings. These chillers were of the same vintage. I never had problems after that. See the same valves used on the mags for motor cooling now. Could be the bungs are damaged and cutting the o-rings.
    The small chiller never had one be that much of a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12