Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milwaukee 18v

Post Likes

Milwaukee 18v

I desperately need to upgrade my cordless tools, specifically my 18v tools. Ive decided I want the Milwaukee brand, for various reasons. But I dont know what the difference is between their M18 platform and their FUEL platform. And then there the brushless tools.

Can someone explain the difference to me.

Which do you prefer, M18 or FUEL?

Post Likes
    Brushless is similar to FUEL...

In a nutshell... a FUEL is a FULL variable speed ECM motor (not a CT or X13)...

I have been using M12 FUEL tools for many years... IMO they are MORE than worth the $$$!
    And so far (years) NO failure issues.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VanMan812 View Post
    I desperately need to upgrade my cordless tools, specifically my 18v tools. Ive decided I want the Milwaukee brand, for various reasons. But I dont know what the difference is between their M18 platform and their FUEL platform. And then there the brushless tools.

Ok so here's the breakdown. M18 and M12 are 2 different battery platforms, 18 volts and 12 volts respectively. Many Milwaukee tools are available in both voltages, and the M12 are just smaller and lighter weight. For HVAC work, they are usually sufficient for most of the things you need to do.

FUEL is their brushless platform, and it is available in both M18 and M12 varieties. Some of their tools such as the copper tubing cutter are not available in a FUEL version, so there's no point looking for that. But both the FUEL and non-FUEL tools can share the exact same batteries.

Generally, the FUEL platform costs 20-50% more for what is essentially the same tool, but the benefits are more power while being lighter weight, and generally longer runtime for a given battery size. Also, the FUEL versions of tools sometimes offer cool features such as the impacts that automatically stop turning when a sheet metal screw has been bottomed out, so you don't strip it accidentally.

The last thing to know about the Milwaukee tools is that they also offer an additional cost option on many of the tools called "one key" . This uses Bluetooth to talk to your phone, and you can program it to shut down and stop working if the tool is marked as stolen, like if it gets out of range of your phone for a certain amount of time. This applies to both the batteries and the tools separately. If you are running a big job site, it gives you the ability to check tools in and out to different people and keep track of who has it.

4. Likes VanMan812, Lahrs liked this post
    Post Likes
    I have the M12 stuff also. No trouble with the tools or the batteries, lightweight. The DuhWalt, even though I like the drills, they are quite bulky and the batteries don't seem to hold up.
    I picked up the vacuum, but had to go M18, so probably more M18 in my future, but then they'll have M(something else).
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Post Likes
    The fuel versions of the tools have more power, and have longer lasting battery life compared to running the same battery on the none fuel tool.

For the tools your gonna use all the time, it well worth the up charge.

Personally I think the fuel versions are worth it even on the tools that see less usage, but money is money.

Look for deals. I bought all my tools ala cart and ended up with way more batteries and tools then buying a full blown kit.

Home depot and others a have promotions all the time.

For example : I bought a fuel sawsall and got a free 9 amp battery and charger. Same for the fuel circular saw.

Got a free light for buying a fuel hacksawl.

Got a free 9 amp battery and charger for buying a 1/2 drive fuel impact wrench and a fuel grinder. Etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes VanMan812, Lahrs, GoCougs liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    The fuel versions of the tools have more power, and have longer lasting battery life compared to running the same battery on the none fuel tool.

For the tools your gonna use all the time, it well worth the up charge.

Personally I think the fuel versions are worth it even on the tools that see less usage, but money is money.

Look for deals. I bought all my tools ala cart and ended up with way more batteries and tools then buying a full blown kit.

Home depot and others a have promotions all the time.

For example : I bought a fuel sawsall and got a free 9 amp battery and charger. Same for the fuel circular saw.

Got a free light for buying a fuel hacksawl.

Got a free 9 amp battery and charger for buying a 1/2 drive fuel impact wrench and a fuel grinder. Etc...

You make a good point. Buying each tool la cart instead of in a big kit is smart. As long as theres a deal why not take advantage of it. Plus, I really only need a new drill right now. I could buy it when theres a good deal and wait for the impact to be on sale. Bummer is Ill still have to carry all my DeWalt tools on the truck until theyre phased out. And the real estate on my truck is precious.

Post Likes
    If one does a lot of service work...

I recommend to get an M12 FUEL impact!
    The low speed is just right for sheet metal screws... the high is strong enough to drive a 3" screw into a fence post. Note the switching is electronic, not a gearbox.

I have the FUEL drill and hackzall. The latter is a mini-sawzall that uses the full size blades... REALLY handy tool!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

10. Likes heatingman liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post

The low speed is just right for sheet metal screws... the high is strong enough to drive a 3" screw into a fence post.
    I second this. The m12 is perfect for our trade. 18v too big and heavy, my m12 fuel weighs less than half my 18v at a measly 2.1lbs

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VanMan812 View Post
    I desperately need to upgrade my cordless tools, specifically my 18v tools. I’ve decided I want the Milwaukee brand, for various reasons. But I don’t know what the difference is between their M18 platform and their FUEL platform. And then there the brushless tools.

Thought you were going inside to be the boss?
    If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post

The low speed is just right for sheet metal screws... the high is strong enough to drive a 3" screw into a fence post. Note the switching is electronic, not a gearbox.

I have the FUEL drill and hackzall. The latter is a mini-sawzall that uses the full size blades... REALLY handy tool!
    I have the Bosch 12v tools right now. Impact, sawzall, light, radio and oscillating tool. I dont have a bad thing to say about the Bosch tools themselves but I should have started out with the M12 stuff. For the simple fact that Milwaukee offers so many more tools.

14. Likes heatingman liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chillrdude View Post
    Thought you were going inside to be the boss?
    If that happens it wont be for another year or so. And Im still not sure I want that. Lol just reading your post gives me a weird feeling.

Post Likes
    Warms my heart to see all the fellow M12 believers! I used to be the fool whom bout the heavy 18-24v drills 7 yrs ago. I've been on the M12 line for a long time now and am always preaching how good that line treats me!

Post Likes
    i do not have any M18 or M12
    i have Makita instead
    i've tried Bosch and Dewalt, not my cup of tea
    now i have a 12v screwdriver and few 18 volts
    i think cordless tools are very personal it depends on your preference, more or less they are all good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast