Post Likes

Bad braze or post cleaning on new Frigidaire FFHT1821TW0

Hi all, I recently bought a new Frigidaire FFHT1821TW0 scratch and dent. Did not mind the cosmetic damage on the front and thought that was the extent. When I got the unit home I noticed some more damage to the bottom rear so I took the cardboard panel off to check it out. Was surprised to see a considerable amount of corrosion on some of the braze connections and there was a white spot of corrosion on the steel frame directly below the connection near the compressor. Looks to me a very corrosive flux was used and not cleaned. Wanting to try and prevent failing down the road I cleaned the 3 sections that had the corrosion with hot water and a soft brass brush. After cleaning I now see considerable pitting in the tube. Anybody run across this before? I found it interesting some of the brazed connections are fine while 3 are bad. Seems like two different people/equipment/flux/brazing were used. Tried to contact Frigidaire and got some dumb response.

About me, I work as a marine tech and fix all sort of things on boats with a very good eye for things that are not right and this Frid is not right.

Thanks, Dale

Post Likes

Bad braze or post cleaning on new Frigidaire FFHT1821TW0

A picture would have been helpful.

Its possible its a repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't fix it if it won't stay broke..

Post Likes
    I see that quite often on Steel / Copper connections!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CRussell1975 View Post
    A picture would have been helpful.

Its possible its a repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Have some good sharp pictures but can't post yet.

I did have the thought it might have been a bad repair but there are three spots, one near the compressor, one on the far right where the condenser connects to the HP tube that goes inside and one on the far left. The tube connecting the compressor to the box (think it's the low pressure tube) and it's is fine so it does not look like the compressor was replaced. Perhaps the condenser but there were some other minor issues that make me think the unit was dented but never had the rear cardboard panel taken off until I did.

Wish I could post the pictures as I think it is quite interesting.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    I see that quite often on Steel / Copper connections!
    I believe all three are copper to copper.

Update, just took another look at one of the pictures and going by color it looks like the condenser may be steel. Does that sound right? The corrosion and pitting are on the condenser tube but not the other side of the joint.
    Last edited by DKCORLFL; 11-04-2018 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Update

Post Likes
    Remember
    Its not running. Takes time to wash off!