Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Forget the colors

Print out the wiring diagram and follow the wires. Find out what components are protected by the fuse and ohm out each one. Ohm out the wires. Follow the circuits!
    I've printed out the diagram and Im following the circuit in the diagram. The diagram is showing me the OD unit being wired to a Trane A/H. Totally different setup from what I have in my house

Post Likes
    We really can't help you on the wiring but I will tell you that t-stat is really not for a HP unless you only want single stage heat with no aux-heat. That wouldn't have anything to do with tripping the fuse but it might be something you're not aware of.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcameron24 View Post
    I got that. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the B wire. My old HP was a Comfortmaker/Carrier unit. Five wires from the unit to the air handler. R,C,O,W,Y. This is my first time working with a Trane HP.
    What does each wire go to? Wire color does NOT have to be the same as long as the odu terminal is connected to the same indoor unit terminal.

load side of transformer
    common/ground of transformer
    reversing valve operation
    emergency heat/aux heat
    compressor first stage

They should be going to the same components no matter the mfr. if you are single stage equipment.

I have been known to f*ck the next guy and change wire colors multiple times from indoor to outdoor!! Not just for kicks, but for revenge or spite.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    What does each wire go to? Wire color does NOT have to be the same as long as the odu terminal is connected to the same indoor unit terminal.

load side of transformer
    emergency heat/aux heat
    compressor first stage

They should be going to the same components no matter the mfr. if you are single stage equipment.

I have been known to f*ck the next guy and change wire colors multiple times from indoor to outdoor!! Not just for kicks, but for revenge or spite.
    So you’re the SOB on that job!

OP
    You can’t rely on color. Ring them out with your meter.

Been there done that!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    So you’re the SOB on that job!
    That's me!!!

Use us for service, then call for new furnace and choose lowest bidder instead.
    When it does not work, call us to fix it.
    State, we just called you to fix it but are not going to have you service it.

(Insert sinister laugh here) Okay.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post

load side of transformer
    emergency heat/aux heat
    compressor first stage

I'm not referring to the colors when describing the wiring. I'm simply stating where each wiring is on the terminal block. Old HP only used the O TERMINAL and No B Terminal anywhere in the configuration. Trane schematic is showing O and B being wired to the corresponding terminals because its showing the OD unit being connected to a Trane AH. With that being shown. I know the old HP used the O terminal to energize the reversing valve. I know the old HP used W2 from the OD unit to W2 on the AH terminal. The AH terminal has a jumper from W2 to E(Emergency) to W3. From the AH to the thermostat is C to C R to R Y to Y O to O and W2 to W2.

I hope my explanation is understandable.

Post Likes
    So think about this:
    When the thermostat is set to heat, what wires are getting energized to start the heating process???
    Track those wires down to find your short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Study the Trane diagram carefully, ODU and AH, pay close attention to the "B" connection in the entire diagram. The light should go bright when you figure it out.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=pacnw;25597123]That's me!!!

Use us for service, then call for new furnace and choose lowest bidder instead.
    When it does not work, call us to fix it.
    State, we just called you to fix it but are not going to have you service it.

(Insert sinister laugh here) Okay.[/QUOT

There was a guy in my area who installed lennox for years, he always wired so the coloring did not match! Finally met the guy after he retired abd asked him why he did that. He said he that way he would always new if someone else was working on his equipment! pretty smart I thought!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjune54 View Post
    Study the Trane diagram carefully, ODU and AH, pay close attention to the "B" connection in the entire diagram. The light should go bright when you figure it out.
    Correct!!!!

Don't get caught up in colors. That is why I stated like I did!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12