Post Likes

Is one AC system better than the other

I have quotes on two different AC systems (to be fitted into existing HV). Both contractors have very good reputations in the area and will do a good job with the installation.
    Is one system clearly better than the other? Or are they essentially comparable.

Trane Indoor Coil #4TXCC007 4 Ton Capacity
    Trane Condensing Unit #4TTA3048 , 3 Phase, 4 Ton Capacity

Lennox 4 ton air-conditioning condensing unit model TSA048S4
    Lennox evaporator coil model C35-49C

Much thanks!

Post Likes
    Read here-

https://www.angieslist.com/articles/...vac-brands.htm

Do you really need 4 tons of capacity?
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    Trane: Nice cabinet protecting the coil, GE's Spine Fin coil which almost never leaks. Gives Americans work!

Lennox: No cabinet, flimsy wire grille with plastic mesh on coil. Gives Mexicans work, jobs lost in Iowa!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Trane: Nice cabinet protecting the coil, GE's Spine Fin coil which almost never leaks. Gives Americans work!

Lennox: No cabinet, flimsy wire grille with plastic mesh on coil. Gives Mexicans work, jobs lost in Iowa!

Post Likes
    Really don't need 4 tons. But it's what's there now. One of the salespersons said that anything other than 4 tons wouldn't fit into/work well with the existing air blower/handler and the current duct work. Sound right to you??

The space is 1500 sqft in the nyc metro area. How many tons would you say I need?? (I've seen a few different rules of thumb for figuring this out.)

Much Thanks!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bldgownr View Post
    Really don't need 4 tons. But it's what's there now. One of the salespersons said that anything other than 4 tons wouldn't fit into/work well with the existing air blower/handler and the current duct work. Sound right to you??

The space is 1500 sqft in the nyc metro area. How many tons would you say I need?? (I've seen a few different rules of thumb for figuring this out.)

Much Thanks!
    Nope, doesnt sound right at all.
    Id run fast and far from that company.
    Basically hes telling you that they are unwilling or unable to determine what size you need, so they will just chuck a 4 ton back in regardless of excessive energy usage, owner comfort or reliability.
    There are no rules of thumb. Manual J, manual S and manual D for equipment sizing.
    How did your old unit do on extremely hot and cold days? Did it cycle or run continuously?
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bldgownr View Post

Much Thanks!
    Find a different contractor

Start Here!
    https://www.steamfitters638.org/contact.aspx

Post Likes
    To answer the question in the title of this thread; the one properly installed, this system will out last, out perform, run with the least expense, and have the fewest repairs. Based on your posts you have not gotten a quote on that system yet.

It is possible but doubtful that you need a 4 ton system. It is very possible that the duct work for the current system is not the correct size for 4 ton. That being the case you should be able to put in smaller equipment without much issue.

Do not be surprised if when you find the system you need it is more expensive because that company will do more.