Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes

Oxy acetylene problems.

I have a Victor oxy acetylene setup. Mc tank. It's a few years old. Lately I've been having an issue. After I light it and start heating my joint the strength of the flame dies a little. I shut it off and relight it and usually it's ok. Tried cleaning the tips. Tanks are full. Happens with my small tips as well as the small rosebud. Any ideas. Its pretty frustrating.

Post Likes
    What are the low side gauges on the regulators telling you? Does it seem like the oxy or acetylene is petering out, or both?
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

Post Likes
    https://www.thefabricator.com/articl...fety-knowledge

As the linked info suggests you may have a defective regulator. A larger cylinder is the long term fix (after regulator is repaired or replaced).

If you choose to read the rig’s user manual, I suggest you pay special attention to the part that discusses withdraw rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckDe View Post
    https://www.thefabricator.com/articl...fety-knowledge

As the linked info suggests you may have a defective regulator. A larger cylinder is the long term fix (after regulator is repaired or replaced).

If you choose to read the rig’s user manual, I suggest you pay special attention to the part that discusses withdraw rate.

Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

5. Likes ChuckDe liked this post
    Post Likes
    There are a few things that will cause this. Setting the flame improperly is one. Another is shutting off the ace before oxy. Sounds like the flashback arrestors are toast.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I believe I always shut off oxygen first.

Post Likes
    Believe or know? Joking. Have you ever heard your torch pop/ snap when the flame went out or been to close to what you were brazing and the flame went out. I have an old set that does the exact same thing after letting my helper install a compressor one day... Does your torch tip get hot when your brazing? You'd know as it will be discolored or just black.

Post Likes
    I have heard that pop sound when brazing too close or shutting the acetylene off first which is a rarity. Tip is slightly black.

Post Likes
    Well in that case your flashback arrestors are toast. You can either get a new torch handle or just the flashbacks. Also you have to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for PSI Ace and oxy on each torch tip can't go any lower shouldn't go any higher than any of us to go higher, but definitely not lower. Those flashback arrestors saved your life. Sadly they are now bad. If you need more heat get a bigger tip. If you need less Heat get a smaller tip. you can test this Theory out by borrowing another torch handle of the same brand.

11. Likes ChuckDe liked this post
    Post Likes
    Thanks for the info. I'll look at it again tomorrow. I'll confirm what order I turn it off in. Used to the motion but can't think of the exact movements at the moment.

Post Likes
    No worries man. Just glad I could help. Let us know your findings and what your resolve is. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Have you tried a different mc tank?

Also what are your settings when you run the torch?

Having a hard time imagining that a little torch is gonna overdraft that tank.

Post Likes
    Been through several tanks with the same result. I set my acetylene to 5 and oxygen to 10.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast