Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wire size.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavhorna View Post
    in that case the utility company pays for the losses on the line... as it is before the meter (well at some point they will push these costs onto all customers as increased kwh price), however in the second case the home owner pays for the losses on the cables that are after the meter - so yes size matters

I Agree Gust.

But more Importantly, ..... The "Strut" is Extremely Important, & BBeerme can fill you in about that.

YEAH!!!! Ah! Ah! Ah!Ah!,... Stayin' Alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Keep in mind, since it was from the pole to the service panel, the utility company installed it.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post

I installed a 200A Underground service for a Modular, & South Central Power was the Utility (No Inspections required other than their Own.), .... They provided the URD for the Service, & started throwing #2 in the trench, & I asked the foreman, "What th' Hale R U Doing?". This Yahoo told me that "it'll be fine,... No Big Deal.", & I told him that I had an Inspector coming from Clermont County,& that I wanted 4/0 URD in the trench.

This guy began complaining about having to drive all the way back to Hillsboro & getting the wire, so, ... I called the Inspector, & he got on the phone with this Yahoo, & told him, that he wasn't allowed to use #2 URD on a 200A install.

Needless to say, the Yahoo *****ed about it, but he went & got the 4/0 Al, ... And the Inspection passed.

How your buddy got by with #8 Tri-plex baffles me BBeerme.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Keep in mind, since it was from the pole to the service panel, the utility company installed it.
    I understand, but, .... Per Annex B, Page 70-701, Table B.310.15B(2)(3) of the 2017 NEC

#8 Copper's high rating is only 59 Amps at 194 degrees F., & if it's Al., then it's lower.

In my "Humble Opinion" , ... The "Utility" Fubared the situation.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    I don't know the code, but I do know you need to find the table that rates wire size for open air conditions. If I'm not mistaken, my buddy did find that table, and was quite surprised how much current a wire can carry when it can freely dissipate the heat.

I understand, but, .... Per Annex B, Page 70-701, Table B.310.15B(2)(3) of the 2017 NEC

#8 Copper's high rating is only 59 Amps at 194 degrees F., & if it's Al., then it's lower.

If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I don't know the code, but I do know you need to find the table that rates wire size for open air conditions. If I'm not mistaken, my buddy did find that table, and was quite surprised how much current a wire can carry when it can freely dissipate the heat.
    What I quoted, unless I'm severely mistaken is for "Open Air", ... Can you get the Reference from your Buddy, for me, BBeerme?

Post Likes
    No, he's long gone. Retired to Hawaii, haven't heard from him since.

Keep in mind, it was probably a real short run as well. And he never had a problem with it.

Kinda makes you wonder if the wire was even insulated.

What I quoted, unless I'm severely mistaken is for "Open Air", ... Can you get the Reference from your Buddy, for me, BBeerme?

Post Likes

I believe the utility company isn't bound by the NEC, and can (and do) run their conductors as hot as they care to.

That being said, I am surprised #8 was chosen and even more surprised that a welder was run off of it. :Grin:

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Likes
    I would fire everything in the house up and see what your incoming voltage is. If it is more than a 5% drop then call the utility. If it is less than 5v then i wouldnt worry about it.

'The more you know, the more you realize you don't know'

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    I believe the utility company isn't bound by the NEC, and can (and do) run their conductors as hot as they care to.

That being said, I am surprised #8 was chosen and even more surprised that a welder was run off of it. :Grin:

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    I Agree Shell,... And that is a very "Grey Area" where the Contractor is required to follow the NEC, ... The "Utilities" are loosely controlled by it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    I would fire everything in the house up and see what your incoming voltage is. If it is more than a 5% drop then call the utility. If it is less than 5v then i wouldnt worry about it.

'The more you know, the more you realize you don't know'
    I've never had a problem with C.G. & E., that eventually became Duke Energy, nor any of the "Co-ops", bringing in the properly sized Service to the buildings that I worked on.

But South Central Power has pulled some "Wankers" a few times over the years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12