Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post
    Thought of that myself at one point, but did't know what they're cookin'. Maybe something they're cooking is dripping down from around the door gasket. That's reaching, but not beyond possibility.

Hey! Maybe it just needs a new door gasket or a door adjustment. Wouldn't that be nice and you can move on.
    If, after all these work hours, it turns out to be a door gasket Iím gonna look like a schmuck! Might have to order the inner glass and maybe a board or two just to save face hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Might I suggest a Turbo Encabulator? They wear out often, I'm told. I've put a lot in over the years.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBozo2315 View Post
    Might I suggest a Turbo Encabulator? They wear out often, I'm told. I've put a lot in over the years.
    Lmao. Oh yes, might have to order 2 of those.

Post Likes
    Haven't posted in years, but here's what I've found out. Those knuckle heads in the kitchens use Rational ovens as dishwashers. The clean cycle is really effective on anything that is put in them. The clean tabs are caustic and break down virtually anything into a water soluble goo. Rationals *ugh* are the #1 reason I decline hot side service now.
    "The trouble with the world is the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent full of doubt" -Bertrand Russell

Post Likes
    It’s cool you decided to post again. And I like your signature too.

I wouldn’t put it past these people. I could totally see them washing pots and pans in it.

I haven’t made it back there yet, possibly tomorrow. Hopefully I can resolve the issue.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post
    That one's not possible. The boiler is a straight shot in, so the hose only holds the 2" boiler outlet butted up to the cooking compartment inlet. Besides, the drain hose is always open too.

Care tabs dissolve quite readily - much like sugar or salt. That snake-shaped congealed mass in your picture looks like FAT.

From my own experience with a cook who set the same SCC101G on fire THREE TIMES (I finally got him fired), I can't ignore the innovative ways cooks can find to MISUSE/ABUSE equipment.

Just throwing this in as we're brain-storming to solve your problem:

If I was some untrained, knuckeheaded young cook who doesn't know any better, I'd be looking at the Care drawer as a great place to pour stuff in - like the fat from the bottom of a hotel pan.
    • THEN...the fat cools and congeals.
    • THEN...somebody else runs it in a CareControl cycle.

The pump tries to pump the congealed fat that's in the LOWER portion of the drawer...and clogging the drain pipe. During initial pump operation, it gets into the pump outlet hose - thus, hindering the cleaning solution's flow. Meanwhile the Care drawer overflows until the congealed mass works its way into the boiler.

Just my thoughts.

I'm done imagining things now...
    Quote Originally Posted by VanMan812 View Post
    In the beginning I thought that slimy stuff came from them steaming all of their rice and pasta in the combi. You know that slipperiness thatís left over after boiling up some spaghetti. Iím still not convinced thatís itís not from that but I was told it comes from the Care tabs. And when I grab that slimy snake it feels very slippery, like soapy almost. Itís definitely not fat. Itís not greasy and it easily dissolves with cold water.

You know what, your Care drawer-dumping-spot theory is making me think about this differently. What Iím thinking is that the overflowing is being caused by the slimy stuff. I was originally thinking that the overflowing was causing the slime buildup but now not so much. I didnít make it back there today, fought with a troubled Merrychef for most of the day. I cleared that slime snake yesterday so Iím wondering if, when they ran a clean cycle last night, if it overflowed?? Iím inclined to think it did not. I think that because, over the several trips out on this machine, each time I clear that slime snake the unit seems to run ok for a day or two. I think. I know I thought I had fixed it once when I cleaned the water probe and reset the boiler. It worked fine for 2-3 days afterword and Iím sure I cleaned the drain that day too. You might be on too something there.

But then where is that slime coming from? Maybe it really is the pasta/rice theory? Maybe the glass is warped and it leaks? I need to go back and park my butt in front of it again and test these theories.

For what it is worth, I don't know what this piece of equipment is, but we get those 'snakes' on the refrigeration side of things. Bacteria feeds on food stuff and grows inside of the condensate drain piping.

Used to blow those 'snakes' out of condensate lines on a regular basis doing refer work.

So maybe look to a source of food for the bacteria and lack of flow through the drain.

In fact, if it is some sort of boiler drain, maybe the drain time is too long. Can you shorten the drain time to keep the drain line hotter, killing any growth?
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    For what it is worth, I don't know what this piece of equipment is, but we get those 'snakes' on the refrigeration side of things. Bacteria feeds on food stuff and grows inside of the condensate drain piping.

Used to blow those 'snakes' out of condensate lines on a regular basis doing refer work.

So maybe look to a source of food for the bacteria and lack of flow through the drain.

In fact, if it is some sort of boiler drain, maybe the drain time is too long. Can you shorten the drain time to keep the drain line hotter, killing any growth?
    I know those walk-in cooler drain line slime snakes well. I wonít rule out that something could be growing in that drain. Itís not so much a condensate drain though. The drip tray under the door feeds this drain. So itís a very slow moving drain that could easily being growing stuff.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VanMan812 View Post
    Itís cool you decided to post again. And I like your signature too.

I wouldnít put it past these people. I could totally see them washing pots and pans in it.

I havenít made it back there yet, possibly tomorrow. Hopefully I can resolve the issue.
    Does the "staff" wear blue vests? I've had so called managers lie to my face about loading them up with the dirty pans and crap. Going back later to catch the oven full of shiny clean stainless. Which makes me the bad guy somehow. I honestly can't believe I'm posting about a Rational of all things. I genuinely detest them for all of the varying "mystery" problems that occur with regularity (one of which you are enduring presently).
    "The trouble with the world is the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent full of doubt" -Bertrand Russell

Post Likes
    Lol no blue vests. Whatís funny about Rationals is I might go a few months without any issues. I can go up to one and fix it without even thinking too much. And then once Iím comfortable a trouble unit comes along that stumps me. This one takes the cake though.

Post Likes
    Combi oven problems....

They never seem to end.

It's a tricky one for sure but my main question is, how did the guy set it on fire 3 times?

Back to the point,

It really looks like grease, honestly but if you say it's not, I'll believe you. The chefs here wash the racks and the wire racks together when they put them into wash but i've never seen anything like this.

I know what you mean on the last comment there about fixing them and all is well and then boom, you feel like an idiot all over.

How often does this occur? You clean it one day, how long till it comes back? I would think it takes time for something like this to grow?

Post Likes
    So I just left the site and guess what... more slime.

What I did today was I took a pack of Care tabs and a pack of Clean tabs and mixed them in separate buckets with a little bit of water. I compared the chemicals I mixed up with the slime/gel stuff. That gel smells and feels just like the Clean tab/water mixture.

I looked at the inner glass and put a straight edge on it and itís definitely bowed out. During a clean cycle itís leaking slowly into the drip tray and into the drain where it sits in the trap and starts to coagulate causing a blockage. What Iím having a tough time understanding though is the only time I saw it leak during a clean cycle, it didnít just drip from the Care pump area, it poured out. I thought with that amount of water that it must have come from the pump or drawer but that drain that keeps clogging up has that large opening right next to the Care pump. So I guess the water could be coming from that opening but not THAT much. Maybe...

I told the customer they need a new inner glass pane and door seal. They donít agree but itís under warranty and Iím making that call. So, weíll hopefully get the glass before the weekend and have our answer before next weekend. Fingers crossed.

Post Likes
    That there is, once again, some great thinking outside the box. Take a photo with your pnhone showing the curved glass, as they might disagree with you on the warrantee coverage. I'd bet as the glass heats up during clean cycle, the gap gets bigger and then you get the flood. Wild!

13. Likes VanMan812 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBozo2315 View Post
    That there is, once again, some great thinking outside the box. Take a photo with your pnhone showing the curved glass, as they might disagree with you on the warrantee coverage. I'd bet as the glass heats up during clean cycle, the gap gets bigger and then you get the flood. Wild!
    I bet your right. As the cooking cavity gets hotter the bow in the glass gets bigger.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12